[SOLVED] Very excited for this!

Feb 9, 2020
Hey guys, hope you’re all good.

I’ll be building my first pc soon but I just wanted to make sure I’m not forgetting anything that a beginner like me could miss, and also to make sure I’ll be using some good parts.

These are the parts I’m gonna be using; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7jq7Gc

Please let me know if you know of any improvements!
Thanks

Solution
Cpu cooler is a little underwhelming for a 9900k, stick to 280mm/360mm AIOs. The motherboard is lacking, that's a monster wattage cpu and needs a good motherboard to support it's voltage and VRM needs. The psu is inadequate by a long way. Between the cpu needs and gpu needs you should be looking at the 750w psus, and not in the budget Bronze range. Seasonic Focus Plus, Corsair RMx or better.

You chose the biggest, baddest, most demanding cpu Intel makes for mainstream use, it requires supporting equipment, budget conscious choices won't work, for long, without running into further issues.

Imagine buying a Lamborghini, and the lecture and bill from the mechanic when you start getting bad engine knocks and pings and breakdowns because...
Feb 9, 2020
What will the pc be used for?

For a 9900k Id want a much better motherboard. I’d also go for a better quality psu, that one is passable but not up to standard of the rest of the system.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll be using it for music production, work and of course gaming, lots of it.
Good idea, I’ll probably get a psu of better quality and look for a better motherboard.

thanks again

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu cooler is a little underwhelming for a 9900k, stick to 280mm/360mm AIOs. The motherboard is lacking, that's a monster wattage cpu and needs a good motherboard to support it's voltage and VRM needs. The psu is inadequate by a long way. Between the cpu needs and gpu needs you should be looking at the 750w psus, and not in the budget Bronze range. Seasonic Focus Plus, Corsair RMx or better.

You chose the biggest, baddest, most demanding cpu Intel makes for mainstream use, it requires supporting equipment, budget conscious choices won't work, for long, without running into further issues.

Imagine buying a Lamborghini, and the lecture and bill from the mechanic when you start getting bad engine knocks and pings and breakdowns because you ran it for 6 months on the cheapest pump gas you could find instead of the Super unleaded it requires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thombuilds
Solution
Feb 9, 2020

Imagine buying a Lamborghini, and the lecture and bill from the mechanic when you start getting bad engine knocks and pings and breakdowns because you ran it for 6 months on the cheapest pump gas you could find instead of the Super unleaded it requires.
I like the analogy, I’ll study everything some more before I actually go and order the parts as it seems there’s still a lot to learn.

thanks for your very helpful answer.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bingo. Much better choices. I like the nzxt Krakens, just set Cam to silent mode and forget about it until the software update. Performance mode will get you a few °C cooler, but the fan noise at higher rpm isn't worth the return.

Seriously solid psu. It's one of the highest ranked psus out on the market.

The asus - E is a good choice for the 9900k, and I really like the FanXpert.

Nice upgrade on the NVMe

Feb 9, 2020
Also just make sure your RAM is in the memory compatibility list of your motherboard, your current one is not, choose from this list:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...MING/ROG_Strix_Z390-E_Gaming_QVL_20190109.pdf
Are you sure that it won’t work? I’ve checked almost every ram in that list and they’re all pretty unpopular as one might say. I’d really like the corsair vengeance 32gb rgb pro which is extremely popular and you’d think it’d therefor fit in most motherboards.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Qvl only consists of ram tested at that point in time. I suppose for 100% guarantees, sticking to qvl list wouldn't be a bad idea albeit ram not on the list usually isn't a problem either.

I do have a suggestion. Consider another larger ssd, perhaps 2.5" to expand your games library. Games can be quite large these days and 500GB can run out quickly. Something to think about.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
QVL is a Qualified Vendor List. Not a Qualified Ram List.

There's only a handful of actual ram OEMs worldwide. They make all the ram, for every vendor. So the Samsung B-die inside a gskill Trident-Z is exactly the same manufacturer as the Samsung B-die inside Patriot Elite, Gskill Aegis, and several others. Only difference is the paint job and heatsink design. Same goes for SkHynix or Micron, they cover a lot of Corsair's lineup. You test 1 stick, you've tested 100 sticks.

The actual factory numbers represent speeds, model, kit #, color and other factors. There's over 3000 individual model numbers just in g-skill Trident-Z lineup. Same stick, different kit = different number. Same stick, different color = different number.

QVL just tests a selection of what's on hand, what's bought, what's donated, prototypes etc. To run a full list, and test every model would require a QVL thousands of pages long, take thousands of man-hours and cost a small fortune, for every single motherboard model. That's not going to happen.

Ram is different. Even identical ram is different. There is no guarantee that even ram on the QVL will work, the Vendor only claims the actual sticks it tested work. The only thing the QVL is meant for is to show that ram at a particular speed does work on the board. It's not Gospel and shouldn't be assumed to be.

Feb 9, 2020
QVL is a Qualified Vendor List. Not a Qualified Ram List.

There's only a handful of actual ram OEMs worldwide. They make all the ram, for every vendor. So the Samsung B-die inside a gskill Trident-Z is exactly the same manufacturer as the Samsung B-die inside Patriot Elite, Gskill Aegis, and several others. Only difference is the paint job and heatsink design. Same goes for SkHynix or Micron, they cover a lot of Corsair's lineup. You test 1 stick, you've tested 100 sticks.

The actual factory numbers represent speeds, model, kit #, color and other factors. There's over 3000 individual model numbers just in g-skill Trident-Z lineup. Same stick, different kit = different number. Same stick, different color = different number.

QVL just tests a selection of what's on hand, what's bought, what's donated, prototypes etc. To run a full list, and test every model would require a QVL thousands of pages long, take thousands of man-hours and cost a small fortune, for every single motherboard model. That's not going to happen.

Ram is different. Even identical ram is different. There is no guarantee that even ram on the QVL will work, the Vendor only claims the actual sticks it tested work. The only thing the QVL is meant for is to show that ram at a particular speed does work on the board. It's not Gospel and shouldn't be assumed to be.
Great, that clarifies a lot. Thanks for another great answer!

Yea the list guarantees XMP speeds 100% compatibility and 100% stability. Memory not in the list might not reach XMP speeds which happened to many users here. I myself had issue with RAM stability because RAM was not in the list, eventhough its the same brand ASRock B350 vs X370.
My PC reboots into bios showing 0mb RAM until I changed to RAM in the list which is now 100% stable with memtest86+.

Last edited: