Very frequent BSODs - ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geronimo57

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hi,

I've recently been encountering this problem exceedingly often, sometimes 3-4 times a day. The frequency fluctuates quite a bit, sometimes I have 2-5 days wit nothing, and some days I have 4 crashes on a day. My problem is the blue screen of death is not always necessarily the same error.

The apparent favourite is the "paged fault in nonpaged area", which happens frequently. At other times it can be the " irql_not_less_or_equal" or "memory management".

The point is this has been happening a lot. Not sure if its related, but google chrome also keeps constantly crashing. Every now and then I get a "whoops google chrome has crashed" if I open a certain tab or so. This, and the BSODs, have been happening together now for the past 2 months or so.

I've checked all my drivers (video card included) to see they are up to date, ran the integrated Windows Vista mem check after a restart (no problems) and even ran a chkdsk on C: where windows is installed, and nada. Even updated windows as of today too.

My specs are:

Windows Vista 64bit sp2
AMD FX 8120 8 core 3.10Ghz
16gb ddr3 ram
amd raden hd 7900 3072gddr5
seagate 3500418AS ATA HD, 7200rpm
gigabye GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard

Any ideas? Of all this, it is my HD which is the oldest. I've even opened up my case and checked the wires and reinstalled all the hardware - keeps happening.

Thanks in advance.

Faulty hardware, a buggy system service, antivirus software, and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the cause.

astronomer6573

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
How long have you been having your hdd?
Try running SMART to get basic stats on the health, or just try replacing hdd with sdd and get windows 7 for stability.

The apparent favourite is the "paged fault in nonpaged area", which happens frequently. At other times it can be the " irql_not_less_or_equal" or "memory management".

Almost always a memory or memory controller problem, though a corrupted file system can also create some strange happenings.

Start with:

1. Start>Run>"chkdsk c: /f /v /r" (without the quotes), answer the resulting prompt with a Y, then reboot.

2. Download and burn to CD memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ) then boot the CD and run at least 3 complete cycles on each stick of ram individually in each slot followed by pairs, alternating slots between tests (gonna take a while)

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
If you have Beta drivers for the HD 7900, might be better to uninstall them and go for the WHQL drivers for version Catalyst 12.4
ref: http://www.overclock.net/t/1196856/official-amd-radeon-hd-7950-7970-owners-thread/9620

Check the prefernces as compared to what you have fitted (there are 3 revisions)- http://www.gigabyte.com/search/search.aspx?kw=GA-970A-DS3#pr-1

It could be the wrong version of Audio drivers or Video drivers, happens often when users are unaware of the different revisions.

Also, with this type of rig, it could be that you have a poor performing PSU, it should be at least 700 watts.

PallindroneT3604

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I have had a power supply failing give me ALL those symptoms and more....peep it, but don't scrimp on the quality of a new power supply---it'll kill yer stuff if ya do!

Status
Not open for further replies.