Question Very high CPU EDC after startup, but returns to normal idle levels when waking from Sleep ?

Oct 14, 2022
I have been experiencing hard reset crashes recently, but the event logs in Event Viewer have not been too helpful. However, while trying to figure out the problem, I noticed that my Ryzen Master my CPU EDC was well over 100% of the 140a (sometimes as high as 150%) while idling after a fresh restart. I double-checked that I had the Windows Balanced power plan on instead of the Ryzen Balanced power plan, and I did. However, no matter how long it was left at idle it wouldn't go down below 100%. It wasn't until I left the computer for a while and it went to Sleep on its own and I woke it back up to see my idle CPU EDC had dropped significantly to normal idle levels. And so I restarted my computer to try to replicate it and I have been able to replicate the cycle consistently several times. When I do a fresh restart/startup, the EDC soars. Then I can immediately put the PC to Sleep, wake it back up, and it's normal. And when I play games in this post-Sleep state with the normal EDC levels, I have experienced no crashes. I was able to play for hours last night without a crash happening, whereas when left in the non-Sleep state I will usually experience the crash within the first hour of play.

I can circumvent the issue by putting the computer to Sleep after booting it up, but I'd obviously love to get to the bottom of the issue if I can. Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated!

My computer:

CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1799MHz (18-22-22-42)
Motherboard
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (AM4)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Try resetting CMOS. Upon restarting after, make no BIOS changes then boot into Windows. Do not run RyzenMaster instead use HWInfo64 to check EDC values.

Why are you using Ryzenmaster? I seriously suggest uninstalling it if you're just using it for a monitoring utility as even it's service can be a drag on system performance. That's not really a problem since it was never intended to be used 24/7 but only as a tool for overclocking demonstrations. It's far better to overclock through BIOS instead, once you've figured out settings that seem to work well with RM, and uninstall it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS