Very high CPU temperatures!

Ajsmith595

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
I've looked elsewhere and seen people are getting worried when their CPU temperature gets to 81C. Well, while playing Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, both my CPU and GPU usage were at 100%, my GPU exceeded 81C, and I saw my CPU consistently at 104C! This is only for this game, but I do not know how to lower my CPU temp. I am using the CAM monitoring software and have an Intel Core i5 3350P, and a MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB.

Solution
If that number is correct, you are hitting your thermal limit, which is bad. Remove the cooler, replace the paste, reinstall ensuring the cooler is correctly mounted. There should be a click for each push pin, ensure they are all tight.
For Intel that is just starting to get hot and Something to worry. If it gets into the upper 80's then you may need better cooling. If you want better cooing than stock this cooer is great.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $19.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-08 11:13 EDT-0400

They OP said the CPU hit 104C. Im not sure if the sensor is even correct as it should have throttled way down. If it is correct then yes this is a issue. The GPU hitting 81C isn't going to be something to worry about.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
If that number is correct, you are hitting your thermal limit, which is bad. Remove the cooler, replace the paste, reinstall ensuring the cooler is correctly mounted. There should be a click for each push pin, ensure they are all tight.

Solution

If you can get a CRYORIG H7 I would do that instead of the Hyper Evo 212 as the Cryorg is about the exact same price. The Cryorg is slightly smaller, quieter and offers a little better performance. Its the new 212 so to speak.

Ajsmith595

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

Ok. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. Will get that for my birthday soon then.