Very High CPU usage in battlefield 1

GiancarloTheNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2016
I know I know, this question has been asked frequently but I haven't found a thread that has given me a direct answer on how to fix this issue.
My specs
>I5 6600k
>GTX 970
>8GB ddr4
>Gaming m5 msi motherboard
>128gb ssd
>1tb hard drive
>850 watt power supply
I honestly do not know what could be causing the issue, Ever since I put this rig together I've gotten mass amounts of low fps and stuttering after only a few hours of gaming on BF1 specifically, At first I thought the graphic card was to be at fault but later noticed that my cpu usage was very high around 80 to 90% usage to be exact. plz if you have the time help me out.

Solution
RAM could potentially be an issue if you're running out of it. 8GB is pretty much the minimum these days and only really works if you don't have a lot of stuff running in the background while playing. If you have Chrome or Firefox open with 20+ tabs while running the game, you're likely to run into problems.

The 6600k doesn't come with a stock cooler and has a 95 Watt TDP. If you grabbed some other Intel stock cooler that was just lying around or bought one separately, then that might cause problems, as a lot of the newer Intel stock coolers that lack copper slugs in the middle are only good for lower TDPs like 65 Watts. If you have an aluminum only cooler that might cause overheating even at stock speeds.
That is normal, the game is very CPU heavy in multiplayer. If you're running your 6600k at stock clocks, you may encounter some slowdowns. I found overclocking my 6600k to 4.4GHz did improve framerate consistency and keeps me well above 60FPS. If things are fine until after a long time of playing, you may have some thermal throttling issues, so you might want to check your CPU and GPU temperatures. You might also want to check RAM usage, 8GB is starting to become a bit low these days, and if you are running a lot of stuff in the background while playing, you might be hitting the limits of 8GB causing slowdowns.

GiancarloTheNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2016

This is a reply to all 3 of you. could ram really be the problem? at the moment I am using a stock cooler which came with the processor so maybe its not keeping it cool enough? and recently just ordered a 240mm liquid cooler for my cpu which should be arriving tuesday. also my ram sticks are 2400MHz

RAM could potentially be an issue if you're running out of it. 8GB is pretty much the minimum these days and only really works if you don't have a lot of stuff running in the background while playing. If you have Chrome or Firefox open with 20+ tabs while running the game, you're likely to run into problems.

The 6600k doesn't come with a stock cooler and has a 95 Watt TDP. If you grabbed some other Intel stock cooler that was just lying around or bought one separately, then that might cause problems, as a lot of the newer Intel stock coolers that lack copper slugs in the middle are only good for lower TDPs like 65 Watts. If you have an aluminum only cooler that might cause overheating even at stock speeds.

Solution
I suppose it's very possible. BF1 is the reason I upgraded to 16GB of RAM just to make sure. When you get your cooler, I would OC to around 4.5GHz and see if you still have performance issues. You should be able to maintain 60fps on ultra 1080p in 64-player online. But remember your CPU usage will still be high, that's expected with only 4 threads and pushing high framerates at 1080p.

GiancarloTheNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2016

Looks like the issue was solved. called over a friend and he installed his 120mm Liquid cooler and I played for about 2 hours, the stock fan was a bonus I received from the dealer. the game ran smoothly, No more stuttering or Fps spikes I also clocked to 4.1ghz.
- CPU temps hit 35 to 43 degrees Celsius during game play
- GPU temps hit around 50 degrees Celsius during game play
Thanks for the help guys, I am guessing i'll be dealing with this till my liquid cooler gets here so that's a shame.

port27

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
BF1 will push a 7700K so don't be surprised if its really pushing that i5. That said I would be looking at the overall GPU usage and making sure the CPU isn't holding it back. That would be more of my concern rather than anything else.