Question Very high data written on 1.5 year old SSD

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I build my pc around 1.5 years ago, around year ago i made a post saying my ssd had 97% lifespan left in 6 months and had 12TB of total data written. Now a year and 2 months passed and that value is all the way up to 56TB. I have no idea how that is happening. im recording some streams using ytdl on ssd and moving them to my hdd maybe thats causing some usage but i definitely did not record or downloaded 56TB worth of data.

SSD- Crucial MX500 1TB

View: https://imgur.com/a/jsGfE4T

My main concern is not about remaning life, more about data written. Is it normal that 56 tb is written in only around 1.5 years. I dont think that value is normal is it ?
"Normal" depends on your activity. If you didn't change your activity much between this time and the last time you checked but the amount of data increased dramatically, then no, it's not normal.

Hence the topic I linked.

Ralston18

Titan
If you are not writing the data then something else is going on.

Whether it is normal is not a question that can be directly answered.

Perhaps some update or backup process storing original data before executing.

Maybe old Windows files. Check Windows Disk Cleanup - no need to immediately clean anything - just see what Disk Cleanup finds. You can cancel the tool if and as necessary.

Look in File Explorer to check file timestamps and file types. There may be saved files that you do not recognize. There may be some clues.

Look in Task Manager > Startup, Task Scheduler, and Process Explorer for any unrecognzed or unknown apps or utlities running in the background.

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
"Normal" depends on your activity. If you didn't change your activity much between this time and the last time you checked but the amount of data increased dramatically, then no, it's not normal.

Hence the topic I linked.
yeah exactly i didnt change my activity thats the problem

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
If you are not writing the data then something else is going on.

Whether it is normal is not a question that can be directly answered.

Perhaps some update or backup process storing original data before executing.

Maybe old Windows files. Check Windows Disk Cleanup - no need to immediately clean anything - just see what Disk Cleanup finds. You can cancel the tool if and as necessary.

Look in File Explorer to check file timestamps and file types. There may be saved files that you do not recognize. There may be some clues.

Look in Task Manager > Startup, Task Scheduler, and Process Explorer for any unrecognzed or unknown apps or utlities running in the background.
Most of my games arent even in that ssd so i dont think i can write that much data. There is lot of things in startup but only 2 of them is turned on i dont think it matters for them to stay on the list is it ? There was lot of updates for programs on task scheduler. I deleted the ones i dont need and there is like 7 nvidia crash reporter on task scheduler idk what is that and why is it there should i delete it too? And there is nothing on process explorer.

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Check the following link and suggestions by @USAFRet.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/why-is-my-hdd-so-full.3841888/#post-23239500

Also: if whatever is being written is being written to another drive then that suggests ( to me anyway) that the saves may be some sort of backups.
but if i check for system files on disk cleaner there is lot 2 gigs of driver packages 3 gigs of windows update and 2 gigs of system error memory dump is there a chance those are causing it ?

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
56TB written.

That could be due to your streaming.
It could be due to some malware.
The stream records are maximum of 3-4 TB and thats very maximum i dont know if it uses lot more then actual size because it downloads in parts and combines or something. Malware was first thing in my mind i checked with multiple programs no sign of any malware

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
So thats only 10 or 15 of these.
Only like 1tb of it is recorded by me using ytdl on this drive rest is downloaded with idm into another drive but inside windirstat there is a folder for idm downloaddata which is 20gb. the ones i download are in m3u8 files which is lots of little parts that gets combined is there a chance maybe idm does all that in my c drive and its causing this

USAFRet

Titan
Only like 1tb of it is recorded by me using ytdl on this drive rest is downloaded with idm into another drive but inside windirstat there is a folder for idm downloaddata which is 20gb. the ones i download are in m3u8 files which is lots of little parts that gets combined is there a chance maybe idm does all that in my c drive and its causing this
"idm" = Internet Download manager?

No idea, I don't use those.

I tried it once, around 2001. Saw no need, haven't bothered with it since.

That may be your issue.

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
"idm" = Internet Download manager?

No idea, I don't use those.

I tried it once, around 2001. Saw no need, haven't bothered with it since.

That may be your issue.
Yeah internet download manager i cant download hls files without idm even tho i am downloading into diffrent disk idm is located in ssd maybe changing that can solve the problem i hope.

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I mean there is programs that does exact same thing as idm just downloads the parts from m3u8 file and combines but afaik idm is best. If you have any advice im open for it. But the cause is prob that i think it downloads in ssd combines in ssd and moves the video from ssd to hdd. Moving idm to hhd should solve it i hope.

TRENDING THREADS