Question Very High Idle Temps (65°C+), Ryzen 7 5800x, Noctua NH-L9I

Feb 17, 2021
Recently built a new mini-itx pc and the specs are: Ryzen 7 5800x, RTx 3070, 16GB ram (3600MHz), Noctua NH-L9I, Corsair SF750 and the case is a ML08 slim itx case. I've been getting very high idle temps of around 65 degrees (casually spiking to 75+ constant for a few minutes) and ontop of that, been getting BSODs (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR). No clue how to workaround any of these problems, so I'm asking you guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated~

Recently built a new mini-itx pc and the specs are: Ryzen 7 5800x, RTx 3070, 16GB ram (3600MHz), Noctua NH-L9I, Corsair SF750 and the case is a ML08 slim itx case. I've been getting very high idle temps of around 65 degrees (casually spiking to 75+ constant for a few minutes) and ontop of that, been getting BSODs (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR). No clue how to workaround any of these problems, so I'm asking you guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated~
And you have plenty of ventilation in the case how many intake and exahsting fans?

Feb 17, 2021
And you have plenty of ventilation in the case how many intake and exahsting fans?
The case I am currently using does no have any space for intake and exhaust although I've been looking at builds with the same case and temperatures looked fine on their part. Probably not the best idea from me but I didn't expect to hit these numbers during Idle (at 85 degrees right now trying to extract a zip file)

You say, you have Noctua NH-L9i .. you know that cooler is meant for Intel CPU's right? For AMD, Noctua NH-L9a should be used (which is a bit bigger/heavier).

But then, Noctua NH-L9 sized cooler just isn't meant for 5800X, even if would be used in PC case with decent airflow. See Tom's Hardware review here, where cooling performance can only be compared to Intel stock cooler.
Solution-1: Get normal PC case and decent cooler.
Solution-2: Get 3600X CPU if you wish to keep the case

Recently built a new mini-itx pc and the specs are: Ryzen 7 5800x, RTx 3070, 16GB ram (3600MHz), Noctua NH-L9i.
First: I assume you got a mounting kit to fit it to an AM4 socket, but still it's a low-profile cooler with a 90mm fan. I'm going to say that's simply inadequate cooling for a 5800X.

Tjmax is 90C so 65-75C idle temps are still perfectly safe. But you're well advised to set a platform thermal limit (setting should be in BIOS for it) of 85C or so to keep the CPU from bouncing off Tjmax. You have to make compromises to run tiny systems with massively powerful CPU's and GPU's unfortunately.

BTW: I think I've seen that case modded with the vent/cover removed and an AIO radiator mounted on it with standoffs. Grills protect the fans and fins. You might could fit a large air cooler in the same way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow

Petko00

Prominent
Feb 22, 2021
You say, you have Noctua NH-L9i .. you know that cooler is meant for Intel CPU's right? For AMD, Noctua NH-L9a should be used (which is a bit bigger/heavier).

But then, Noctua NH-L9 sized cooler just isn't meant for 5800X, even if would be used in PC case with decent airflow. See Tom's Hardware review here, where cooling performance can only be compared to Intel stock cooler.
Solution-1: Get normal PC case and decent cooler.
Solution-2: Get 3600X CPU if you wish to keep the case
So if you haven’t seen it already, the Asrock X570 Mini ITX Motherboard has intel mounting even though it’s an amd motherboard so it can actually be done. I’m currently using the board with a ryzen 5 3600 and I was getting very high temperatures as well of 60 on idle and 93 whilst gaming. My solution isn’t the greatest but I’ve just gone into Ryzen Master and selected Eco Mode which has limited the cpu to 65w rather than 88w. Still manages to get to 4.1ghz when gaming and stays at 80 degrees but I’m more than happy with those results and that cooler as I’ve put it all in the K39 pc case which hasn’t really got space for anything else

The 5800X is a very hot CPU. A lot of people complained that it had high temp even with a good cooler and a good case.

You have no exhaust and no intake. That case is horrible.

You need a new case and a new cooler. You won't see better temp without both. If you can't put a good cooler in there it's pointless.

Reactions: Bassman999