J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Hi everyone, after setting up my new PC, I keep getting very high temperatures on my Ryzen 7 3700x. While on idle the cpu averages around 55-60 degrees C and it can even spike up to 70 sometimes. I've heard that the Ryzen CPUs do that because they are not set up properly in the BIOS but I also have a stock cooler with the stock thermal paste but I don't believe that this would make such a huge difference. My previous i5-6600k was averaging on idle around 40C and this is like 20C higher, does anyone have a solution to fix that? And also when not doing the fan cpu will spin like crazy when using Google or any other simple tasks, it will spin fast and then it will slow down and it does that over and over again.

Solution
To verify fan airflow direction, dangle a tissue in front of it.

Concentrate on getting fresh air INTO the case.
Eventually it will all exit the case taking component heat with it.
Normally, two or three front 120/140mm intakes is all you ever need.
A rear 120mm exhaust fan is good to direct the airflow over your motherboard and graphics card.
I ran a wraith prism on a 3600x and the constant ramping up and down drove me crazy! Ryzen's do run hot though but the best thing I ever did was buy an after market cooler, no more ramping up and down and my cpu runs cooler and have had better sustained performance. Someone can advise you on a better fan curve if you decide to stay with the wraith prism and/or to get you by if you decide to buy a better cooler.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
You haven't posted any solid proof that there is a thermal issue present.

As for the fan though, go into bios and set a cpu fan curve like so:
-minimum fan speed of 60% at a temp minimum of 60C
-80% fan speed at 80C
-100% at 90C
What do you mean that I haven't posted any solid proof for the thermal issue? Do you want me to actaully give you a screenshot of the temperatures? I can tell myself that those temperatures are not normal during idle.
Edit: There you have a screenshot of the temperatures, https://ibb.co/9vY0rCc

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
You haven't posted any solid proof that there is a thermal issue present.

As for the fan though, go into bios and set a cpu fan curve like so:
-minimum fan speed of 60% at a temp minimum of 60C
-80% fan speed at 80C
-100% at 90C
I did what you said with the fan in the bios and I already can see the difference, the fan is not spinning like crazy but I also played with the MHz and the voltages of the cpu and I managed to get stable 4.3GHz at 1.215V but that still makes the temps to idle around 60 C.

Idle temperatures are important.
10-15c. over ambient indicates that a cooler is mounted well and is functioning properly.

The likely problem here is that the cooler is not level to the processor.
When tightening it down, tighten a small bit at a time in a criss cross pattern.

Reactions: javiindo

vaynardx

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016
Ambient temperatures can impact how hot your system is. It is also important that Intel and AMD processors work a bit differently, especially in terms of boosting. I recommend that you set a custom fan curve if you are going to still use the stock cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What do you mean idle temps are not important? So you would like your CPU to be used as much as it is in during gaming on idle?
By the time that is a serious problem, then you will have other issues, such as cooler mount or poor airflow.

Post full PC specs, and post some in game temperature results. Don't bother with Prime 95 or OCCT, because the Wraith cooler simply wasn't designed to deal with loads like that.

Hi everyone, after setting up my new PC, I keep getting very high temperatures on my Ryzen 7 3700x. While on idle the cpu averages around 55-60 degrees C and it can even spike up to 70 sometimes. I've heard that the Ryzen CPUs do that because they are not set up properly in the BIOS but I also have a stock cooler with the stock thermal paste but I don't believe that this would make such a huge difference. My previous i5-6600k was averaging on idle around 40C and this is like 20C higher, does anyone have a solution to fix that? And also when not doing the fan cpu will spin like crazy when using Google or any other simple tasks, it will spin fast and then it will slow down and it does that over and over again.

Its normal on stock cooler.

All Ryzen chips have high idle temps unless using a aftermarket cooler.

Like a wise man once told me, do not worry about the idle temps, only worry about the load temps. So what are your temps under load like playing a game?

Also as someone else suggested, you can change your custom fan curve. I usually have a minimum of 60% at 40c. 80% at 60c and 100% anything above 70c. However if your idleing at 55c up to 70c then it would be best, if you want to avoid annoying ramp up/down sounds of the fan, to make the fan speed more even across the board, so maybe start at 70% at 60c with say 100% at 70c. The overall noise in general will be a bit higher but the ramps would be less noticeable.

With that said, I would HIGHLY suggest investing 60$ into the Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B air cooler. It is only 4c lower than most 100$ AIO's and its only 154mm which makes it a very good option for slimmer cases as well. I have the 3800x, I had the same issues you have using stock cooler. Soon as I upgraded my cooler to this air cooler my idle temps NEVER go above 40c and my load temps NEVER go over 65c. Unless using prime95 small fft (which is a synthetic load, nothing you do on your pc would put your cpu under this kind of stress) then I hit a max of 91c which is still well below the maximum rating. With stock cooler I had max temps of 110c with shutdowns using stock cooler. So it works.

You can also manually OC your cpu. I know this seems the opposite of what you would want to do but the issue I seen on my 3800x (basically a 3700x) is the stock voltages were way to high. Sometimes I was hitting 1.4v at idle! So I manually OC'd my pc and lowered the voltage (4.2ghz all core oc at 1.325v). So I would at least try to set a all core stable frequency for your CPU and then lower the voltages. This lowered my idle temps by about 5-10c when idle even before I upgraded the cooler.

Last edited:

dimtodim

Reputable
buy better cpu cooler and what case u have?case is also important and good air flow

A note about why idle temps don't really matter using an example: My video card has a "zero fan" mode that doesn't turn on the fans until the GPU's temperature exceeds a certain value (like 60C). This results in higher idle temperatures, but it's nothing to really worry about. In fact, a lot of products are coming out with "zero fan" modes.

The only time one should worry about idle temps is if it's extremely high, like 80C+

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Its normal on stock cooler.

All Ryzen chips have high idle temps unless using a aftermarket cooler.

Like a wise man once told me, do not worry about the idle temps, only worry about the load temps. So what are your temps under load like playing a game?

Also as someone else suggested, you can change your custom fan curve. I usually have a minimum of 60% at 40c. 80% at 60c and 100% anything above 70c. However if your idleing at 55c up to 70c then it would be best, if you want to avoid annoying ramp up/down sounds of the fan, to make the fan speed more even across the board, so maybe start at 70% at 60c with say 100% at 70c. The overall noise in general will be a bit higher but the ramps would be less noticeable.

With that said, I would HIGHLY suggest investing 60$ into the Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B air cooler. It is only 4c lower than most 100$ AIO's and its only 154mm which makes it a very good option for slimmer cases as well. I have the 3800x, I had the same issues you have using stock cooler. Soon as I upgraded my cooler to this air cooler my idle temps NEVER go above 40c and my load temps NEVER go over 65c. Unless using prime95 small fft (which is a synthetic load, nothing you do on your pc would put your cpu under this kind of stress) then I hit a max of 91c which is still well below the maximum rating. With stock cooler I had max temps of 110c with shutdowns using stock cooler. So it works.

You can also manually OC your cpu. I know this seems the opposite of what you would want to do but the issue I seen on my 3800x (basically a 3700x) is the stock voltages were way to high. Sometimes I was hitting 1.4v at idle! So I manually OC'd my pc and lowered the voltage (4.2ghz all core oc at 1.325v). So I would at least try to set a all core stable frequency for your CPU and then lower the voltages. This lowered my idle temps by about 5-10c when idle even before I upgraded the cooler.
I just played a match of Smite and I play it on the lowest settings possible and the cpu has hit a peak of 75 degrees C, I don't think that's good when playing a game that doesn't put any load on the PC. Also, soon I will be getting a new cooler and I wanted to get the bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4, it's a little expensive but I believe that it will change those temps.

Reactions: Jason H.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
What is your CPU usage during "idle"?

Have you properly mounted the cooler? First time I installerld my 3700x with the stock cooler I was getting temps like yours then I found out that I didn't lock it in place using the lever.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
I know I’m still going on about this, I just played a game of R6 siege and I play on high settings, I average the temperatures around 72-75 degrees and there was a spike once up to 83 which shocked me a bit. Now, I would like your help guys to take a look at the case that I have and help me set up the air flow because I never knew which fans should flow in what direction, I currently have 3 fans, two at the top and on at the back but I will also be getting two for the front if not 4, to replace the ones at the top, hopefully those new fans with the be quiet dark rock pro 4 should lower down the temperatures a lot.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
What is your CPU usage during "idle"?

Have you properly mounted the cooler? First time I installerld my 3700x with the stock cooler I was getting temps like yours then I found out that I didn't lock it in place using the lever.
I have mounted the cooler correctly I even tried mounting it again because I thought I mounted it wrong but it didn’t help and the temperatures on idle are around 55-60 at sometimes they average between 51-55, I know it’s weird.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see you've finally posted some load samples, and I still don't see anything to panic over.

The Wraith Prism can't perform effectively in that chassis, but the Dark Rock should yield lower than the already safe temperatures you've reported.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stop. "I used to have a 6600k..." says everything. Throw it out, all thoughts, assumptions, ideas, crap 'you heard', preconceived notions etc because it doesn't apply.

You have a Ryzen, not an intel. They don't work the same way, respond the same way or really have anything in common other than names such as cores and cpu and thraads.

At idle, an intel will chop voltages and speeds to all cores, but all cores remain active. So the entire 5-6% load gets split over 6 cores or so. Meaning any individual core sees extremely little load, and has little consequential temps. Any peaks will be due to the starting of services on any given core, which still isn't mu h of anything but a small, momentary load.

Ryzen is entirely different. With Ryzen at idle All cores except 1 are disabled, inactive. So the entire 5-6% load will be on a single preferred core. This being a considerable amount of load higher than any single Intel core, so consequently will run at higher baseline temps. The spikes will be from one or several services starting simultaneously, on that single core. The resultant spike is considerably higher than the 3 or so services starting on Intel, only the highest of which is generally reported.

Intel @ 10-15°C above ambient is normal, with 10-15°C spikes. Ryzen is closer to 20-25°C above ambient normally, with 20-25°C spikes. On average, at stock settings and stock cooler.

But whatever you heard about Ryzens running hot because of bios settings not properly set up, is garbage. The settings are entirely correct for a guaranteed stable cpu for any plain jane pc. They just aren't correct for somebody expecting Performance results as from PBO or OC or temperature worry worts.

Ryzen Master, Prime95 small fft (AVX disabled), Asus Real Bench are all you need to bring any PBO, OC, temps etc into line. If you have an MSI motherboard, get rid of Dragon Center, it artificially boosts the cpu without your permission or consent and will drive the cpu harder for absolutely no reason or any real gains, driving temps far higher than they need to be.

I just played a match of Smite and I play it on the lowest settings possible and the cpu has hit a peak of 75 degrees C, I don't think that's good when playing a game that doesn't put any load on the PC. Also, soon I will be getting a new cooler and I wanted to get the bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4, it's a little expensive but I believe that it will change those temps.

Temp is perfectly normal and safe.

Keep in mind, Smite is a VERY cpu bound game. And for reference, a CPU's usage % doesnt always dictate the temperature it will run at while playing any certain game, or doing any certain task.

If you play a heavier game, whats the temp then? Like the heaviest game you have...

But whatever you heard about Ryzens running hot because of bios settings not properly set up, is garbage.

I would still say, at least last year, stock voltages at idle on the Ryzen chips was a bit too high. There was plenty of threads regarding it I seen as well. Not that Im fully disagreeing with you or anything, because I do understand what your saying. But a chip running 1.45v at idle, was causing higher than normal idle temps. This was all while at a low clock due to being idle. It didnt make sense and I could see why someone would want to lower that idle temp because of the voltages being, imo, entirely too high at idle.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
I know I’m still going on about this, I just played a game of R6 siege and I play on high settings, I average the temperatures around 72-75 degrees and there was a spike once up to 83 which shocked me a bit. Now, I would like your help guys to take a look at the case that I have and help me set up the air flow because I never knew which fans should flow in what direction, I currently have 3 fans, two at the top and on at the back but I will also be getting two for the front if not 4, to replace the ones at the top, hopefully those new fans with the be quiet dark rock pro 4 should lower down the temperatures a lot.
What Karadjgne said about Ryzen is true, but your temps are still higher than normal for stock cooler, you have to test it by running Cinebench R20, your max temp on multi core should'nt exceed 80-85c.

Regarding your fans setup, you need at least 2 front intakes and 1 exhaust at the rear, so move your top fans to the front and your temps should be better.

Intake is when the plastic frame of the fan is facing the motherboard which means it will pull air from the outside of the case to the inside.

Exhaust is the reverse of intake when the plastic frame should face the grill on the rear of the case and push hot air out of the case.

To verify fan airflow direction, dangle a tissue in front of it.

Concentrate on getting fresh air INTO the case.
Eventually it will all exit the case taking component heat with it.
Normally, two or three front 120/140mm intakes is all you ever need.
A rear 120mm exhaust fan is good to direct the airflow over your motherboard and graphics card.

Solution