[SOLVED] Very high idle temps on ryzen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Hi everyone, after setting up my new PC, I keep getting very high temperatures on my Ryzen 7 3700x. While on idle the cpu averages around 55-60 degrees C and it can even spike up to 70 sometimes. I've heard that the Ryzen CPUs do that because they are not set up properly in the BIOS but I also have a stock cooler with the stock thermal paste but I don't believe that this would make such a huge difference. My previous i5-6600k was averaging on idle around 40C and this is like 20C higher, does anyone have a solution to fix that? And also when not doing the fan cpu will spin like crazy when using Google or any other simple tasks, it will spin fast and then it will slow down and it does that over and over again.

Solution
To verify fan airflow direction, dangle a tissue in front of it.

Concentrate on getting fresh air INTO the case.
Eventually it will all exit the case taking component heat with it.
Normally, two or three front 120/140mm intakes is all you ever need.
A rear 120mm exhaust fan is good to direct the airflow over your motherboard and graphics card.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Temp is perfectly normal and safe.

Keep in mind, Smite is a VERY cpu bound game. And for reference, a CPU's usage % doesnt always dictate the temperature it will run at while playing any certain game, or doing any certain task.

If you play a heavier game, whats the temp then? Like the heaviest game you have...
So far the highest temperature I got in a game was 83 C and that was in R6 Siege on high settings but that temperature was a spike and the average one was around 70-75 more like 73 all the time.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Guys I have good news :D !
In my pc case, for now I only had 3 fans, one at the back and two at the top, I took the ones at the top and put them to the front and when I started my PC I went to see the temps and I couldn't believe that the temps were dropping even below 40 C !!! But there is still one thing, as soon as I opened discord the temperatures spiked to 50 C. I really love that ryzen but I really don't understand how it works, it did idle strongly below 50 degrees but soon as I started an app, it started to idle at 50 C.

Reactions: Jason H.
Guys I have good news :D !
In my pc case, for now I only had 3 fans, one at the back and two at the top, I took the ones at the top and put them to the front and when I started my PC I went to see the temps and I couldn't believe that the temps were dropping even below 40 C !!! But there is still one thing, as soon as I opened discord the temperatures spiked to 50 C. I really love that ryzen but I really don't understand how it works, it did idle strongly below 50 degrees but soon as I started an app, it started to idle at 50 C.

Were the fans on top being used as intakes or exhausts?

That was definately your issue. If theres no air being drawn into the case from the front, to the back, then there cant be airflow. So by moving them to the front, fixed the issue. As far as the spikes, its still normal and safe. Spikes STILL, WILL, happen with Ryzen. So dont worry about it. You fixed the issue.

Silly us for not asking your case cooling configuration or all this could have been avoided lol.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Were the fans on top being used as intakes or exhausts?

That was definately your issue. If theres no air being drawn into the case from the front, to the back, then there cant be airflow. So by moving them to the front, fixed the issue. As far as the spikes, its still normal and safe. Spikes STILL, WILL, happen with Ryzen. So dont worry about it. You fixed the issue.

Silly us for not asking your case cooling configuration or all this could have been avoided lol.
I think they were used as intakes XD, but the temperatures should get even better as I ordered 3 Corsair fans and the dark rock pro 4 :D. To be honest I couldn’t believe that airflow is so powerful and that it was the cause of the problem.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I would still say, at least last year, stock voltages at idle on the Ryzen chips was a bit too high. There was plenty of threads regarding it I seen as well. Not that Im fully disagreeing with you or anything, because I do understand what your saying. But a chip running 1.45v at idle, was causing higher than normal idle temps. This was all while at a low clock due to being idle. It didnt make sense and I could see why someone would want to lower that idle temp because of the voltages being, imo, entirely too high at idle.

There's several considerations to consider. There's firmware such as MSI Dragon Center that will do that, all in the name of saying a cpu gets better performance on an MSI motherboard than Asus etc. It's artificial boosting that has nothing to do with the cpu, and everything to do with advertising.

There's also the silicon lottery. Not all cpus are equal, in fact every single cpu is different. Because of that difference, both Intel and Amd will set stock voltage standards higher than any any cpus needs, just to guarantee there's enough voltage to cover every single cpu made.

If that means amd sets the cpu at 1.4v and Dragon Center comes in and bumps it to 1.45v, that's just what it is.

There's several considerations to consider. There's firmware such as MSI Dragon Center that will do that, all in the name of saying a cpu gets better performance on an MSI motherboard than Asus etc. It's artificial boosting that has nothing to do with the cpu, and everything to do with advertising.

There's also the silicon lottery. Not all cpus are equal, in fact every single cpu is different. Because of that difference, both Intel and Amd will set stock voltage standards higher than any any cpus needs, just to guarantee there's enough voltage to cover every single cpu made.

If that means amd sets the cpu at 1.4v and Dragon Center comes in and bumps it to 1.45v, that's just what it is.

good info. Ill keep that in mind!

I think they were used as intakes XD, but the temperatures should get even better as I ordered 3 Corsair fans and the dark rock pro 4 :D. To be honest I couldn’t believe that airflow is so powerful and that it was the cause of the problem.

Yea bro, the hardware inside of a pc can reach very hot temps. And if the heat has no efficient way to escape the case, then you get heat build up. And the components inside your case, use that hot air to cool the hardware.. gpu/cpu. Both will only have hot air, to cool a already hot piece of hardware with.

Glad you figured it out man! Let us know how to new fans and cooler works :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen is easy to understand. It's not Intel, doesn't work like Intel, is different altogether than Intel except for naming of things like cores, threads etc.

And you are thinking of Intel temps.

Intels at idle drop voltages and speeds to all cores, but all cores remain active. So that 6% idle load is split up amongst the 6 or so cores, and any spikes will be the hottest of those cores from starting a process or service. Which is a very minor load.

With Ryzen, it drops voltages and speeds, but deactivates all the cores except one. So that entire 6% load is on a single core and all processes and services are added to that core at the same time.

So you'll see a somewhat higher temp on the one Ryzen core vrs a random Intel core with a fraction of its load. This also means spikes are somewhat higher, figure if 3 services start up then they get split up but with Intel you only see the hottest one. With Ryzen you see the accumulated temp of all 3.

Add in sub-optimal airflow and 50-60°C idles and spikes over 80°C are not that uncommon for Ryzens. Still within specs, but not all that comforting to the users peace of mind.

TRENDING THREADS