Very high packet loss and ping sporadically over the course of 12 months

phonts

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I'll start off with the specs of everything.

Modem: Arris DG1670
Router: Linksys E1200
ISP: Time Warner Cable 15 Mbps Download/ 1 Mbps Upload

My desktop is hardwired through the modem/router set up and an xbox occasionally uses the wifi.

PC Specs:

MOBO: Fatal1ty Z77 Professional
PSU: Corsair 750W
Wifi Adapter: Broadcam Netlink Gigabet Ethernet
CPU: i5-3570k @ 3.4GHz (4 CPUs)
RAM: 8 GB

So for about a year now I've been dealing with constant packet loss and high ping/jitter. After multiple technician visits and long, frustrating calls with technical support, I'm still dealing with the same problem. I've had multiple modems replaced, unhooked the router and tried just running the modem, changed out ethernet cords, etc.

It's all very sporadic where I'll have normal connections and suddenly it becomes frantic and eventually settles out again through either multiple modem resets or just through time.

Is there any measures I can take to rule out it being my ISP's fault and/or some kind of hardware issue? After this many technician visits, though, it's hard to say it's my hardware.

Do you have the XFast Lan software loaded? There are tons of reports of the software that companies like Asus and Asrock use for their LAN packet shaping tend to screw with your speeds rather than boost them.

Also if your not using wifi (since you said you're wired in to your router) make sure you have it disabled so you can take one more puzzle piece out.

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
can you log into the modem (generally 192.168.100.1) and there should be a page showing upload (or tx) and dowload (rx) power levels and there should be also SNR. could you post a screenshot or copy past the information on that page

phonts

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
@4745454b Well the problem has been occurring even with the router unhooked and running purely on the modem.

@azaran I don't have XFast Lan installed. And I've disabled both wireless settings on the modem itself and still no solution.

@HyNrgy I logged into the modem but I'm having a hard time finding that information. Do you know what tab it could generally be under?