Feb 15, 2020
As I have been looking to find my problem I have seen a few cases of people having a game uses a lot of power and the game lags because of it including some that are very good pcs. ex. ( https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/very-high-power-usage-windows-10-help-fix.3543186/ ) I have a 500W psu and according to every bottleneck calc I should only need ~350W but any time I play Rocket League and the cpu spikes from ~7% to ~17% the music stops and the screen freezes until it goes down. Does anyone know what to do?
(my set up is not the best)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 6-core
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
RAM: 16GB DDR4
PSU: ThermalTake Smart DPS G 500W Bronze
(id also like to know ive had this power supply for about a year)

Solution
I find it odd that you've tied the problem to the CPU. A "spike" to 17% shouldn't be a very large increase in power draw. Sometimes the GPU can spike very high and exceed what a PSU can provide. Going from memory the 1070 is around a 170W card, but I think some models can hit much higher than that for ms at a time. But that would happen with a high GPU draw, not a 17% load on the CPU.

If it is CPU related I'd look at temps being the issue. If the cooler isn't on correctly I could see it being a temp problem that happens under load. The PSU isn't great but it should be ok for that setup.

4745454b

Titan
I find it odd that you've tied the problem to the CPU. A "spike" to 17% shouldn't be a very large increase in power draw. Sometimes the GPU can spike very high and exceed what a PSU can provide. Going from memory the 1070 is around a 170W card, but I think some models can hit much higher than that for ms at a time. But that would happen with a high GPU draw, not a 17% load on the CPU.

If it is CPU related I'd look at temps being the issue. If the cooler isn't on correctly I could see it being a temp problem that happens under load. The PSU isn't great but it should be ok for that setup.

Solution
Feb 15, 2020

I believe you are right the more I look into it, I was already skeptical of the cpu spike being irrelevant but, 2 other threads I could find thought it was the cpu and my gpu never spiked (~27% usage), after multiple websites and friends fact checking me, 500W should be enough but I’m now being told thermaltake is kinda a bad brand all together. Idk how you feel about that but, I have not checked the temp in a while so I will do that ASAP. THANK YOU for helping me :)

4745454b

Titan
TT isn't known for being the best PSU brand out there, but that is a semi ok 500W bronze unit. 500W bronze, so it's group regulated. Probably has 408W on the 12V rail(s). It's the DSP model so there is some digital "management" involved, it might have an extra amp or two. But unless it's DOA it should be pumping out just over 400W on the 12V rail. A 95W CPU and <200W GPU would be using 300W max of that. The rest of the system wouldn't be more than 50W. If the 1070 has micro surges above 300W it the 500W PSU would be the issue. But I don't know if that GPU does that. (and at 27% load I don't see the GPU pulling 300W.) I would double check the temps and anything else before looking at power.