[SOLVED] very high power usage "task Manager" AND 8gb 3000mhz showing less mhz

Apr 29, 2020
Hi, so finally after years of saving i did manage to buy new pc
Case: spearit of games deathmatch 8 (4 fans, i think 92mm)
CPU: i7-9700kf
MotherBoard: msi mpg z390 gaming plus
RAM: 1x8gb T-force 3000mhz ( iknow that it isn't much, but i will buy other 8gb when i get the money)
GPU: GTX1050TI 4gb (this is from my old pc,i will upgrade when i get the chance to)
1SSD 500Gb and 1 HDD 1tb
PowerSupply: Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W (80plus)
I did't know what power supply i should get but the shop owner said this will enough
So i asked him to build it for me toke it home plugged my SSD " the one i was using in my old pc " and i started my pc all good, i i coppied some files so i don't lose them when i formate my pc.
then i was like, let me test how good it is even without drivers
i tried cpu z benchmark: and it give me a good score, around 4100
thne i run few games
CS:GO with bots DM: avg 300 fps
Sqaud training cores: 60 fps
Mount and blade 2 500v500 battle and it run smooth on 50/60 fps droping to 30/25.
i was surprised/happy with the results so i installed the drivers with out formatting my pc
then i notice my pc laging
cpu z benchmark still gives me the same result but
CS GO fps drop to 250fps as average
sqaud lags a LOTS around 12fps and freeze and loading time to join a game time x6 times
Mount and blade 2 drops to 30 average
And i notice that when i ever open my task manager. i see very high power usage in 1 or 2 apps that are opend
and i believe it causing me lag
So i formatted the PC and still same result
and for my ram i did check in the CPU-Z and i this results
https://ibb.co/2ZZZzgk
It somehow says 2400mhz idk why
NOTE: i have all my drivers updated
Iam using win10 64bit V1909
I have't updated the bois
i have't mess with anything in the bois

So iam i getting this very high power usage because of my power supply ???
And why my RAM is showing less then 3000mhz
Please help

So i just got new PC
Case: spirit of games deathmatch 8 (4 fans, i think 92mm)
CPU: i7-9700kf
MotherBoard: msi mpg z390 gaming plus
RAM: 1x8gb T-force 3000mhz ( iknow that it isn't much, but i will buy other 8gb when i get the money)
GPU: GTX1050TI 4gb (this is from my old pc,i will upgrade when i get the chance to)
1SSD 500Gb and 1 HDD 1tb
PowerSupply: Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W (80plus)
I did't know what power supply i should get but the shop owner said this will enough

i formatted it and download CPU-Z
and this is the result for my RAM
https://ibb.co/2ZZZzgk
idk if that normal or what i should do
and PC is laging when i run somegames + shows very high power usage in task manager
NOTE: i have't update my bios or do any changed to my bios

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Oh, I see what you mean - that just means (essentially) that Steam is a priority app. When gaming, you want your game/client to be high priority, and demanding .... so that's completely normal function.

If you're running a game within Steam, this is what you'd expect to see and won't be causing lag (the opposite would be true, if it were a low power app)..... If you're running a game from within another client (Origin etc), then closing Steam entirely may have some benefits.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Guessing you hit 'post' a little early.

If you're seeing 2133 or 2400MHz in the BIOS, TaskManager etc, then you need to enable D.O.C.P or XMP in the BIOS to run at the rated 3000MHz.

If you're seeing ~1500MHz, probably 1499MHz (in the likes of CPU-Z), DDR = Double Data Rate, so you need to double those figures to understand your 'true' speed.

If you're seeing 1499MHz, you're running at 3000MHz.
If you see ~1066MHz, you're running at 2133MHz.

Apr 29, 2020
Guessing you hit 'post' a little early.

If you're seeing 2133 or 2400MHz in the BIOS, TaskManager etc, then you need to enable D.O.C.P or XMP in the BIOS to run at the rated 3000MHz.

If you're seeing ~1500MHz, probably 1499MHz (in the likes of CPU-Z), DDR = Double Data Rate, so you need to double those figures to understand your 'true' speed.

If you're seeing 1499MHz, you're running at 3000MHz.
If you see ~1066MHz, you're running at 2133MHz.
Tnx you sooo much, my task manager and bois show 3000mhz now
But i keep getting very high power usage and idk why
is it because of my power supply!!!
+ is my power supply enough for my specs?
Tnx you again

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
But i keep getting very high power usage and idk why
is it because of my power supply!!!

What do you mean "high power usage"? As in power-draw/consumption? Or do you mean core utilization?

While the PSU isn't particularly great, it should be plenty sufficient for your specs.

I've merged both your threads into one - these can be covered in one topic.

And i notice that when i ever open my task manager. i see very high power usage in 1 or 2 apps that are opend
and i believe it causing me lag

What apps are using up your resources? And what are you considering "very high"?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020
Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Oh, I see what you mean - that just means (essentially) that Steam is a priority app. When gaming, you want your game/client to be high priority, and demanding .... so that's completely normal function.

If you're running a game within Steam, this is what you'd expect to see and won't be causing lag (the opposite would be true, if it were a low power app)..... If you're running a game from within another client (Origin etc), then closing Steam entirely may have some benefits.

Solution
Apr 29, 2020

ah Okay tnx,just the PC is too lagy for new/i7-9700kf
so i though it is because of that/power supply