Question Very high power usage [Task manager]

Oct 12, 2019
So, lately when I'm playing some CSGO I'm getting low fps compare to past.
when I watching Task manager it says CPU about 60% and GPU about 22% and it says very high power usage... I checked CPU temp and it about 42 C while playing CSGO.
Does anyone know what is the problem and what can I replace/do to get more FPS?
I have I5 6400 and gtx 960 4gb.
Thanks!

'..it says very high power usage'

What says 'high power usage'?

42C would seem like barely above idle, perhaps somehow a Windows update has botched your chipset drivers?

Install/and monitor HWMonitor...

Then install /run CPU-Z/bench/'stress CPU'

Check what clock speeds and temps are being shown....if at 800-1000 MHz, it sounds like you are stuck in Economy Mode, be that done in the OS or within the BIOS' power settings? (Let's first make sure the CPU is ramping up in clock speed like it is supposed too, with a max turbo speed of 3.3 GHz, w/ probably an all-core turbo of 3.0 GHz or so...)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019
'..it says very high power usage'

What says 'high power usage'?

42C would seem like barely above idle, perhaps somehow a Windows update has botched your chipset drivers?

Install/and monitor HWMonitor...

Then install /run CPU-Z/bench/'stress CPU'

Check what clock speeds and temps are being shown....if at 800-1000 MHz, it sounds like you are stuck in Economy Mode, be that done in the OS or within the BIOS' power settings?
its actually at ~3100 while i stressed and while being idle its the same surfing at google.

WF75Lxg.png

Last edited:
as the i5-6400 has a max all-core turbo of 3.3 GHz, all 4 cores at near 3100 MHz sounds about right, so, the CPU seems to be behaving normally as far as clock speeds go.

Do you have a restore point from before your frame rate hit occurred? (If all is then well, for sure you'd know you are dealing with a botched Windows update and/or driver sort of glitch, which certainly your potential 'reinstall from scratch' should take care of... (I'd get/apply all WIndows updates before doing GPU driver package install (express install for Nvidia GPU has always worked fine)