very high RAM consumption

jagdtiger12cm

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hello Tom's hardware community :3

I have a small problem with my Win7, and its about ram consumption. First i should say that I have quite a bit of knowledge on this topic. Back in time my win7 used about 1 - 1,3 gb ram max. But after some time of easy gaming, programing, downloading programs and stuff, my idle ram consumption increased to 1,8 - 2 gb of ram!! I don't know where the problem is. I tried everything. Disabling startup programs, observing ram usage, disk cleanup, virus scan, defragmentation, killing procesess... Nothing worked. I really don't have any idea where the problem may be. It is some virus or is it just some random processes that steals alot of my ram... When my win7 boots to desktop it is already around 1,5 gb and keeps growing.

I have a dual boot system with win 8.1 which is very clean install with almost no programs except browser and today I booted 8.1 and ram consumption there is around 0.7 gb which I think is normal.

Also booting up takes time. Same with shutdown. It is not that fast as it used to be. Altough when i play games there isnt really a drop in preformance but there is still that feeling that something isnt right there.

My computer is old but i really take care of it. My speecs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2,4 Ghz
XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB
4x 1GB DDR2 RAM
2x 250 GB hard drive
430W Corsair PSU
Old no name mobo which works just fine for me i think xd

Dual boot
Win7 ultimate x64 (primary boot)
Win8.1 x64

I just want to get rid of this ram problem :))) Ill be very happy if someone could help me with this. And really sorry for my bad english, hope u understood everything :)

Solution
Win 7 ultimate 64gb will take more ram than the 32gb version.

I suspect that what you are seeing is windows keeping stuff around in ram in anticipation of reuse.
It says little about how actively those things are accessed.
Check task manager performance tab and look at the hard page fault rate. If it is >1 per second, you have a problem.

It might be good to run malwarebytes to see how much junk has accumulated.
Win 7 ultimate 64gb will take more ram than the 32gb version.

I suspect that what you are seeing is windows keeping stuff around in ram in anticipation of reuse.
It says little about how actively those things are accessed.
Check task manager performance tab and look at the hard page fault rate. If it is >1 per second, you have a problem.

It might be good to run malwarebytes to see how much junk has accumulated.

Solution