[SOLVED] Very High Temperature on WDC Ext HDD

YrbkMgr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
In 2019 I bought an 8TB WDC drive. I have two other WDC Ext 8TB in use. Functionally, all three the same. Please take a look at this graph from Crystal Disk Info. The Red drive (K) runs consistently hotter than the other like drives. All connected via USB 3.0 superspeed 10-port hub -> MOBO port.

c2Uy7Xp.jpg

As far as I can find from research, the Max Operating Temp of this drive is 50 deg C - it always exceeds 50 unless I turn a house fan on it.

If it were you, would you be concerned enough to get a warranty replacement - That it's a legit sign of a defective drive?

Solution
If I was in your situation, I'd disconnect the drive that was showing those temps and have it operating/connecting it only when I needed it. If the issue was around even after sparsely using it(i.e, connecting it only when needed) I'd contact WD as well as the seller to let them in on the issue and if possible backup any and/or all data and then proceed for an RMA or the event that the drive will fail due to heat.

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? What OS are you on? If Windows 10, what version are you on? Make and model of your hub? I'd avoid the hub altogether and see if the drives exhibit the same issue.

Lutfij

Titan
If I was in your situation, I'd disconnect the drive that was showing those temps and have it operating/connecting it only when I needed it. If the issue was around even after sparsely using it(i.e, connecting it only when needed) I'd contact WD as well as the seller to let them in on the issue and if possible backup any and/or all data and then proceed for an RMA or the event that the drive will fail due to heat.

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? What OS are you on? If Windows 10, what version are you on? Make and model of your hub? I'd avoid the hub altogether and see if the drives exhibit the same issue.

Reactions: YrbkMgr
Solution

YrbkMgr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
I'd contact WD as well as the seller to let them in on the issue and if possible backup any and/or all data and then proceed for an RMA or the event that the drive will fail due to heat.

That's exactly the confirmation I was looking for. Thank you for putting thought into it.