Question Very high temperatures on i5-13600k ?

poodude28

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
Hey, I upgraded to:
  • Gigabyte Z690 MOBO
  • i5-13600k
  • and Peerless Assassin 120 CPU cooler

My temperatures are in the 90s when I test Core-Temp and Furmark. My VID stays around 1.07-1.2 and just barely hits 1.3 sometimes under load just for a split second, so that can't be the problem. I went into the bios and changed fan speed from normal to full and I didn't see the CPU temperature inside the bios lower at all when I heard it spin up loudly. I should have been seeing it lower itself... One of the last things I did before noticing this go bad with the temperatures was enable CPU Gaming Mode, I reset the mobo settings but it says 5.1 mhz still on the right and I don't remember if that's what it was originally so I am paranoid about whether or not it actually reset properly.

Could anybody help me lower my temperatures? I had the understanding that this CPU cooler was going to be more than enough.

Last edited:
Not to worry, you are good.
A processor will monitor it's own temperatures and will slow down or even shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature to protect itself.
That is around 100c.
Modern motherboards and processors will, by default try to turbo up to get the best performance given the current workload and cooling capabilities.
It looks like your case can handle 3 front 120mm intakes.
One comes with the case, and I would add the other two.
That is sufficient to feed the cooler as well as providing good airflow over the motherboard and graphics card
I would not put any exhaust fans on top.
They would deflect the incoming front airstream up and out of the case before it could reach the components you want to cool.

Jun 4, 2023
So it sounds like its overclocked? You'll want at least 2-3 more fans I would say. One of the bottom and another on the front minimum should help. I would also double check the airflow direction of the CPU cooler fans. Sometimes people have them on the wrong way and they blow inside the case and not out of the back. Also, it's possible the cooler is not seated well or it has too much or too little thermal paste.

Anyway, I would double check your CPU speed clock and then look at installing some more fans to help cool it down. I have an i5 12600k and at most I might hit high 50s or low 60s for temps under heavy use.

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
From the top of my head, liquid has a temperature transference rate of over 20 times that of gas, so liquid cooling is up to that much better than fan cooling, even though liquid cooling in the end relies on fan cooling

I googled and found that: liquid cooling can be 2-10 times more effective than air cooling

Also people have been trying to run their PC from a freezer, but won't go into those ridiculous discussions :) Point is leaving your case open, then your room window can matter

It is the nature of 13th gen processors and motherboards to try to run the cpu as strongly as possible, given the workload and cooling available.
All cooling(peltier excepted) is really air cooling. The difference is in where the heat exchange takes place.
The effectiveness is mostly determined by the volume and construction of the cooling fins.
A 240 aio will cool about as well as a twin tower cooler like the noctua NH-D15.

I reset the mobo settings but it says 5.1 mhz still on the right and I don't remember if that's what it was originally so I am paranoid about whether or not it actually reset properly.
5.1Ghz is the max clocks for one or two cores, if you get 5.1 on all cores while doing your stress tests then the defaults of your mobo are overclocking your CPU, you would have to find out which settings you have to manually change to get to normal performance.

Just improving your cooling will not reduce your temps because the mobo settings will just push the CPU harder to take advantage of the new headroom.
You have to manually make sure it's not overclocking.

Reactions: Phaaze88
5.1Ghz is the max clocks for one or two cores
The 13600K is designed to run at 5.1 GHz whether one core is active or all cores are active. It will run like this whether you have a Z series board or a B760 or B660 board. The B boards do not support overclocking and you still get the full 5.1 GHz. The 13600K is not like most other Intel CPUs.

My VID stays around 1.07-1.2
No point in looking at VID. VCore is important. VID is not.

Run HWiNFO and look to see what the VCore voltage is while running something consistent like Cinebench. VCore is the actual voltage going to the CPU.

Some 13600K can be reliably undervolted by up to -100 mV. This is the best way to bring your temperatures down. I have seen full load temps while running Cinebench drop by up to 20°C. These 13th Gen CPUs were programmed by Intel with a lot of additional voltage which is really not necessary. Some motherboards add more voltage on top of that.

If you decide to undervolt, run ThrottleStop and make sure the FIVR window does not show Undervolt Protection. This needs to be disabled in the BIOS if you want undervolting to work correctly.

View: https://imgur.com/bpinOAW

Reactions: CompuTronix