Status
Not open for further replies.

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Hello everyone! I bought an Intel Core i3-12100 (not the F version) together with a motherboard MSI PRO H610M-G DDR4. I am using the stock cooler from Intel and I think the temperatures are a bit too high? At idle it stays at 51 C degrees and while playing games it goes up to 80 C degrees. Most of the time the fan is quiet, but while I was playing Beam.NG Drive, it became very loud. I have one fan in the front for intake and two for exhaust (rear and top). I'm thinking of buying an aftermarket cooler, but maybe something else is wrong here?

Thats about right for a stock cooler, 80C is fine with that CPU, a little hot for me but thats personal preference, That CPU will start to throttle at 100C, so it can take up to that before I would start to worry. Just make sure you dust it out from time to time, preferably every 6 months to a year and that will ensure the temps stay low.

You can buy a better cooler which for sure will keep it the max temps lower, but at 80C on a non-overclockable chip you'll be alright, can't expect great performance out of them stock coolers.

Good Luck!

Hello everyone! I bought an Intel Core i3-12100 (not the F version) together with a motherboard MSI PRO H610M-G DDR4. I am using the stock cooler from Intel and I think the temperatures are a bit too high? At idle it stays at 51 C degrees and while playing games it goes up to 80 C degrees. Most of the time the fan is quiet, but while I was playing Beam.NG Drive, it became very loud. I have one fan in the front for intake and two for exhaust (rear and top). I'm thinking of buying an aftermarket cooler, but maybe something else is wrong here?
Take the side panel off the case......test.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Intel's stock cooler is a type of air cooler called a downdraft.
These did a little better in PCs that had side panel ventilation for intake, and were paired with gpus that weren't dumping their waste heat in the PC.
When there's no side panel intake, the closest cool air intake for it depends on what type of cooler is on the gpu... and if the gpu cooler is the kind that dumps heat inside, then the downdraft has to deal with not just the cpu's heat, but the gpu's as well, and downdrafts generally don't have a very high thermal capacity.

You can fix this with a tower air cooler, which don't have the same limitations.

Art_73

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
You probably have this answered by now but: I use an i3-12100F with an Intel stock cooler and am somewhat focused on the various temperatures in my machines. I also have an MSI mobo so maybe my process can help you. I use the bios to set the base CPU fan speed to 30% for temperatures above 40C, and linear steps above that (eg. 50C/40%, 60C/50%, etc.). I also use an after market "buckle" on the CPU to evenly set the CPU on the socket. I heard that the stock CPU hold down mechanism might bend the CPU cap and cause thermal problems. Anyway, after modifying the fan profile and installing the CPU buckle my temperatures are idle = 42C. I do run a GPU which ventilates out of the case so games don't cause much unexpected rise in temperature. 80C is about as high as I have ever seen with this method and that briefly. All this being said I assume you have done the case ventilation and thermal management steps. Now the $64K question: Would an aftermarket cooler do better? Sure, but as the previous replies state, why. The CPU is operating within specifications and like BIOS updates, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.