[SOLVED] Very High Temps Ryzen 5 3600

Unknowndew

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
Hey so today I installed my new Motherboard (MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX) and my new CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) everything works well except for the Temp of the CPU im getting 60 Degrees in the Bios, 75 in Idle desktop with Afterburner and 90 Degrees when starting any game for a minute or two. I'm using the stock cooler atm Because the one I ordered didn't arrive yet but the stock cooler can't be that Bad that I'm getting 75 in idle when I was getting about 85 in a game with my old Ryzen 5 1600 and the Stock cooler for it. Is there anything I could do or should I just wait until the new cooler arrives.

EDIT: First of All Thank you for all the Replies. Second of All my new Cooler arrived and i got way better Temps now so either the something was wrong with the Stock cooler from the Start on or i installed something incorrectly.

Last edited:
Solution
Ryzens are dynamic cpus. Intels are not. You look at temps and freak out, but the Ryzen will monitor itself. It's not an intel. Intel has a set speed and when a load is applied it boosts to that speed regardless of the temps, until it hits thermal throttle. Ryzens work it backwards. They monitor the temp, voltages, current draw and boost accordingly.

So if you are at 75 and 3.7GHz with the stock cooler, putting a slightly better cooler on doesn't change anything. You'll still get 75 except instead of 3.7GHz it has the thermal room to get 3.9GHz.

This upwards boost will continue with progressively better coolers until you hit the PBO power limits. Then you'll start to see reductions in temps.

Idle temps respond mostly to airflow...

fevanson

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Hey so today I installed my new Motherboard (MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX) and my new CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) everything works well except for the Temp of the CPU im getting 60 Degrees in the Bios, 75 in Idle desktop with Afterburner and 90 Degrees when starting any game for a minute or two. I'm using the stock cooler atm Before the one I ordered didn't arrive yet but the stock cooler can't be that Bad that I'm getting 75 in idle when I was getting about 85 in a game with my old Ryzen 5 1600 and the Stock cooler for it. Is there anything I could do or should I just wait until the new cooler arrives.

What bios version do you have? Did you reapply the cooler to check if it's sitting on the cpu properly? Do you have the latest amd am4 chipset drivers? Do you have PBO on in the bios? Make sure standard windows power plan is selected as ryzen balanced power plan runs the clocks higher at idle.

Unknowndew

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
What bios version do you have? Did you reapply the cooler to check if it's sitting on the cpu properly? Do you have the latest amd am4 chipset drivers? Do you have PBO on in the bios? Make sure standard windows power plan is selected as ryzen balanced power plan runs the clocks higher at idle.
I updated every driver that I could reapplied the stock cooler and Im pretty sure I enabled PBO and I have the most standard power plan that you can have selected.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens are dynamic cpus. Intels are not. You look at temps and freak out, but the Ryzen will monitor itself. It's not an intel. Intel has a set speed and when a load is applied it boosts to that speed regardless of the temps, until it hits thermal throttle. Ryzens work it backwards. They monitor the temp, voltages, current draw and boost accordingly.

So if you are at 75 and 3.7GHz with the stock cooler, putting a slightly better cooler on doesn't change anything. You'll still get 75 except instead of 3.7GHz it has the thermal room to get 3.9GHz.

This upwards boost will continue with progressively better coolers until you hit the PBO power limits. Then you'll start to see reductions in temps.

Idle temps respond mostly to airflow. The cpu itself having such a small load, it's barely working and has very minimal outputs, not usually enough to be
more than @ 20ish °C higher than ambient temps. If there's no flow, no fans, you get lousy temps.

Load temps are different. There's enough cpu output that the heatsink basically goes from passive cooling to active cooling. Your temps will be affected by airflow, but that's a minor factor. Efficiency and capacity of the cooler being the major factors.

60 is high for bios, should be in the mid 40's-mid 50s at best. Bios is @ 50% load, so elevated temps are to be expected.

Idle is a 5% load, so not entirely sure what settings you have going on or if you are even reading temps at idle. No way should idle ever be higher than bios. Ever.

Use Ryzen Master and HWInfo (sensors only) for settings and temps. Windows Power plan should be Balanced.

Get some fans and learn how to set them up and use them correctly.

Solution

Unknowndew

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020

Idle temps respond mostly to airflow. The cpu itself having such a small load, it's barely working and has very minimal outputs, not usually enough to be
more than @ 20ish °C higher than ambient temps. If there's no flow, no fans, you get lousy temps.

Load temps are different. There's enough cpu output that the heatsink basically goes from passive cooling to active cooling. Your temps will be affected by airflow, but that's a minor factor. Efficiency and capacity of the cooler being the major factors.

60 is high for bios, should be in the mid 40's-mid 50s at best. Bios is @ 50% load, so elevated temps are to be expected.

Idle is a 5% load, so not entirely sure what settings you have going on or if you are even reading temps at idle. No way should idle ever be higher than bios. Ever.

Use Ryzen Master and HWInfo (sensors only) for settings and temps. Windows Power plan should be Balanced.

Get some fans and learn how to set them up and use them correctly.
Well im letting the pc turn on and turn on speccy and wait for about 15 minutes before checking the temps. Also I have the standard MSI BIOS settings and the Balanced power plan. Airflow shouldn't be a problem too because I took of every panel that i could. Also i installed Ryzen Master as you said and it shows much diffrent Temps than Speccy or Afterburner went from 75 in idle to 45-50

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. That happens. And 45°C for a Ryzen is perfectly normal. Speccy is a great little program, for Intels. Never had much luck with Amd. But Ryzen Master, like Overdrive before it, was written BY Amd, for AMD cpus. It doesn't have a bunch of extras in it for Intel, doesn't have FX even. It's just all Ryzen, which minimizes conflicts with addressing sensor locations etc.

Airflow can be an issue. You won't be running your pc forever partially dismantled. So while it's great that you get 45° with no panel installed, you'll certainly need to know what the same idle will be after you put the panels back. That's when you'll find out whether airflow is sufficient or not.

Unknowndew

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
Yes. That happens. And 45°C for a Ryzen is perfectly normal. Speccy is a great little program, for Intels. Never had much luck with Amd. But Ryzen Master, like Overdrive before it, was written BY Amd, for AMD cpus. It doesn't have a bunch of extras in it for Intel, doesn't have FX even. It's just all Ryzen, which minimizes conflicts with addressing sensor locations etc.

Airflow can be an issue. You won't be running your pc forever partially dismantled. So while it's great that you get 45° with no panel installed, you'll certainly need to know what the same idle will be after you put the panels back. That's when you'll find out whether airflow is sufficient or not.
Well i found a Solution kinda im keeping the Side panel of and blocking the view of the pc with my second monitor. Like that it gets good airflow and doesnt look to bad. I just need to get a new Case because the one i have is pretty crap.

TRENDING THREADS