Question Very hot CPU temps.

Jan 20, 2020
Right now I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 with no overclock at 3.4 ghz. I'm using the stock wraith cooler right now. I recently found out that my CPU temperature is very high even at idle temps. Idle temps sit at 40-50 degrees Celsius and can bump up to the 60s when watching a YouTube video. When I starting gaming, most of my games will cause my temperature to jump to 95 degrees, sometimes momentarily going over 100 degrees Celsius. I don't want to risk frying my CPU or any other parts for that matter. Any ideas on how to cool it down?

Either your cooler isn't mounted correctly or you have serious airflow problems in your case preventing the cooler from working properly.

You should check to make sure your cooler is mounted properly, if it is at all loose it needs to be remounted with new thermal paste. Also check to make sure the CPU fan is spinning, if it isn't that is also a problem.

Reactions: oldcracc

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Did you use your own thermal paste when you put the cooler on, or did you just leave the stock, already applied paste on it?

If you did use the one it came with pre-applied, that may be the problem. It should work and does work in most cases, but I build Ryzen systems often and noticed that the stock cooler's pre-applied thermal paste is more often than not 'faulty'.

1. See if it's mounted properly. If not, that's the issue - re-mount it and apply new thermal paste.
  2. Is the airflow in your PC case good enough? Do you have air intake and exhaust fans on the case set up properly? (Negative air pressure is better than positive - if you have an uneven number of case fans, set more of them up for exhaust than for intake)
  3. If it's mounted right and the airflow is OK, try getting a higher-quality thermal paste (I recommend Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, works the best for me), and re-mount your cooler.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Right now I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 with no overclock at 3.4 ghz. I'm using the stock wraith cooler right now. I recently found out that my CPU temperature is very high even at idle temps. Idle temps sit at 40-50 degrees Celsius and can bump up to the 60s when watching a YouTube video. When I starting gaming, most of my games will cause my temperature to jump to 95 degrees, sometimes momentarily going over 100 degrees Celsius. I don't want to risk frying my CPU or any other parts for that matter. Any ideas on how to cool it down?
Re applied the thermal paste (buy a better one) on cpu
Make sure the installation is correct
At least not last buy new heatsink fans like noctua or cooler master 212 evo

Definitely double check cooler mounting. Also check fan profiles and case airflow.

Temps should never exceed 95C, that's Tjmax and at that temp the processor should throttle itself. Even the stock cooler will keep temps well below that on stock settings if everything's correct. How are you monitoring temperatures?

EDIT: the way Ryzen works is to boost real high and frequently at low loads which briefly heats up one core but at same time pulses the fans. People often turn down the all the fan speeds to lower the noise; if you've done that it may be the problem. While it's OK to turn down fan speed don't do it too far, just till they're barely audible and only do that at lower temps in the profile. At about 70C speed for CPU fan in particular should be ramping up pretty fast until it's in airplane mode (75-100%) by 90C.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020
Update. The CPU fan was only screwed in with one screw and there was little to no thermal paste. Should be the answer. Thanks for the recommendations.