Question Very hot HDD

Rathbone

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
I've got a Toshiba HDD which gets very hot. I don't have quantitative data for how hot but I'd say around 50°c+.

It's in a small form factor case and right above the CPU cooler (I would swap to an aio which would give more airflow space and remove the CPU heat at a different location but my case can't take a radiator).

Should I be concerned about how hot the HDD gets and it's impact on other components? I don't think the CPU cooler works at optimum efficiency as it's cooling fins are close to a heat source (my Ryzen 2600 is running around 65°c not sure what standard op temp is for the chip but that's with a 120 TDP cooler).

Is there anything I can do for a hot HDD other than swapping it for an SSD (which would be smaller and can be mounted elsewhere in the case or an M2 on the mobo)?

Thanks

Rathbone

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
As you can see you are on the line. (if you are 50C)

http://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temperature.html

Although I would download and run HWinfo.

I think that generally gives you the HD temp.

.....and 65C is fine for the Ryzen.

I think up to 70C is fine.

Thanks Jay, always nice to see some data.

Interesting, the link says high temperatures are bad however reviewing the supporting data shows that it's only significantly bad after a 3year period (i.e. when you are just out of warranty).

Think I'll download some monitoring software and find the specs for the drive. I'm wondering whether the drive is operating as it should be.

In terms of lowering temp I don't think there is a lot I can do. It's in airflow and I've even stuck a large heatsink on it. If it's hot and running fine then perhaps I'll look to invest in an SSD in 12 months (this drive is only about 6 months old) but before I hit that 3 year window.

Thanks.

Rathbone

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
Thanks. I'll start with monitoring software then I'll hang the drive outside the case (there isn't going to be anywhere inside the case that will be any cooler) and see the difference.

TBH I don't think the position of the drive is the issue (despite being above the CPU cooler it is in airflow) I think the opposite is true, the heat from the HDD is effecting the CPU cooler. I have had other drives Inthe same position and not noticed this problem (would you expect a 3tb drive to produce more heat than a 0.5tb drive?)

The case is a Kolink Satellite plus (which I've had for a couple of years with no issues. The HDD bolts to a frame at the top of the case (which actually helps dissipate heat into the case).

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll monitor temps and get back.

Just my experience, but I've had Seagate laptop drives fail over and over again in a laptop that provided zero ventilation for the HDD and often got above 50-55C.

My 7200 RPM Toshiba HDDs in my desktop case sit right in front of a fan and I've never seen them get above 27C.

Rathbone

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
My 7200 RPM Toshiba HDDs in my desktop case sit right in front of a fan and I've never seen them get above 27C.

Yeah that's where I wonder if the drive is running properly. It's hanging a couple of inches from the 120mm case fan blowing along its length. It's not gonna hit 27°c unless I keep it in the fridge.

I bought it new (after reading Toshiba's had lower number of drive failures) but perhaps I just got a bad drive.

TRENDING THREADS