Very Indecisive about my business build

Cuthroat12

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Hello, I am putting together my 2nd business or OFFICE computer for a new employee with our expanding company (not including a ton of my own builds done through the years) . I have a gaming PC at my home office that I use for gaming and business so of course I have selected a chip set more on the gaming side of things with a i7 2600k clocked at 4.6 and a GTX 770 for discrete graphics etc. etc. This by far supersedes what I would need for just general everyday business work but it's hard for an enthusiast to make these basic selections (or it is at least for me). When at the physical office I use a simple ASUS i3 laptop that gets the job done.

In 2012 (I believe) I built a computer for my service dispatcher and was extremely satisfied with the build. With this more recent build though I have been very indecisive and am having issues completing my mobo selection and CPU. The 1st build was easy because I had just recently built my own comp which housed a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k 1155 Socket. I liked the i5 but wanted the i7 2600k in my home computer for a number of reasons mainly encoding. I knew that my system was reliable so I knew that the office computer would be reliable with my old cpu. So I removed the i5 2500k from my personal computer and continued the build from there. The result was this;

*Intel Executive DQ67SW Desktop Motherboard - Intel - Socket H2 LGA-1155

Intel i5 2500k (BASE CLOCK)
CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 CMX16GX3M4A1333C9
SINCE Downgraded to (2 x 4GB) due to a failed dimm (got a new one under warranty on hand)
ASUS VH236H Black 23" Full HD Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ Speakers
HP 24X Multiformat DVD Burner Black SATA Model 1270i LightScribe Support
Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Mouse Keyboard, desktop speakers etc.

Because the computer was very light in terms of software, it was EXTREMELY fast and even seems faster than my home computer which operates at 4.6 Ghz with 2x Raid 0 SSDs with the program files and users folders symlinked to a WD Black 2 TB 7200 RPM etc etc etc.

Here is where I loose direction in this new build. I purchased the Intel DQ67SW "Executive" motherboard mainly because I trust the reliability of Intel and that it had some very rich security features. It was also in the right price range and had (I believe) a 5 YEAR warranty. I thought I would use some of the features that would allow me to access low level functions of the BIOS and OS portions of the computer remotely (Intel vPro Technology). I am very busy and it would be nice to do a BIOS update to the computer after hours from my home as well as upgrade general software in the OS as well. It also has a lot of security features that I really like but hope I never have to use. Anti theft parts of the motherboard allow me to send a "poison pill" that will lock the mother board as well as delete sensitive data on the computer in the event that the computer was stolen (problem here is I still have not set this up nor do I think I will due to time constraints).

I am a enthusiast and thought that I would enjoy accessing the computer remotely etc. I don't have spare time as a business owner and proud father though. The work involved in learning the use of the remote features to keep up with 1 or 2 computers is really not worth it and it is easier for me to stay late and complete updates or throw the computer in my truck at the end of the week or pay someone else to do it... I had to face it, the reason they sell this board in quantities of 10-100 is for the large businesses that either have on-site IT professionals or hire a 3rd party company. Although I feel my tech level is far above the average user, these tasks would cost me more time to learn and my time would be better used elsewhere. Nevertheless, I am still very happy with the build despite the unused features.

So comes my problem; I know I only need a simple system but I build things to last and also want to enjoy this build. I figured I would use the IVY bridge on this new build because it is cross compatible with sandy bridge motherboards (I believe) and if for any reason 1 computer went down that had VITAL information on it, I could always pull the CPU, memory or any other failed part out of the other office comp or even my own comp until we acquire the parts to fix it. We do back-up to external media but both office employees have to have computers. Haswell was on my mind but I'm not so sure I want to go to a 1150 Socket, and the efficiency is-int that big of a deal. If I went Haswell it would only be that I wanted a newer CPU but due to socket changes, this is not future proof (well no comp is but you know what I mean).

I was going to purchase another Intel motherboard again but then I thought of the unused features and then I thought that at the same cost what could I buy in a micro ATX that was aftermarket (ASUS or Gigabyte for example). What features am I giving up that I would actually use if I bought Intel? Also, Intel is getting out of the motherboard market. So now I'm stuck. I really like the layout of the Intel DQ77MK as far as the PCI Express slots and the general layout of the other items (this allowed me to install a number of new or older devices if I ever needed to). Then I noticed that to my knowledge the Intel mobo didn't have a USB 3.0 header so the case I had selected would have 2 unused 3.0 ports (not a big deal but this is a new build).

Sorry for writing a BOOK but, I am stuck. I know I should just buy a damn board because it's not that critical but then it occurred to me that one day I might have it back at the house and I have a 560 ti laying around, THAT MAKES A GAMING H.T.P.C. (for example). Should I just move up to a Z87 chipset? Why is there even a Q77 Chipset on non-OEM boards if the security features don't exist? I know I will probably get a Ivy bridge i3 but not even dead set on that, I have been thinking about Haswell but thats more for effeciency and (6) SATA 3's (what would I need that for). The existing computer had a bad 4GB memory module that I returned and received a new one but never installed. So now the existing business computer has 8 GB of RAM because that is more then enough and I will use the remaining 8 on this new build. The list below is all that I know I will be installing, because it is laying around and ready to be used;

CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 CMX16GX3M4A1333C9
Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
ASUS widescreen monitor (unfortunately 1680 x 1050) but may be upgraded
Factory CPU cooler from Sandy Bride (new chip may or may not come with CPU cooler depending on what I buy)

Really like this case but will eliminate any blue lights;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147166

If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I am going to have to come up with some way to decide or regret my decision later. Thanks

there a few things you look into with your cpa. one is renting/leasing a pc over buying a dell or hp biz machine. if the pc used for work pc there some tax laws to look into where you can write the pc off. if i was building a work pc I be looking to use a small itx intel case and a locked i5 cpu from micro center and a h81 mb. with a small case you could mount the pc on the side of the desk. the poision pill on intel mb is a gimic same as having tracking software on a laptop or tablet. they have to be on the network to track them. most of the newer tech now is drive encryption and ssd that can be killed remotely. most issue now are data thieves that look to steal whole data base info more then stealing a pc.

benfct

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

benfct

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

benfct

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Please let me say up front that I do not know enough to make any suggestions. I don't game, and I'm on a need-to-know basis with all this. The two things I identified with were: (1) your reservations about a case with blue lights (I went to a custom building website to meet my current business need, and couldn't find one case that seemed suitable for business; I guess I'm just way too far from being a teenage boy--I could be your new baby's grandfather); and (2) your seeking some way to make a rational decision that will be as sturdy as the computers you seek to build.

So instead of suggestions, I have questions. :) I'd like to represent that in helping me, you would gain clarity on your own predicament, but for me to say that would be blatant hubrus.

Hubrus is not my thing, but pushiness--that's different. We're business owners, right?

So here goes:

I need new pc to function as the server/workstation for at least two other clients. Some
sensible folks at another site suggested they should all be on Win 7, vs. the XP I have been
using. Security issues. Some chaps on another site recommended refurb'd dual cores for the client machines: $200
each, with Win 7. That makes sense to me. Does it make sense to you? If that's not your expertise, please just
say so.

Background: Now, on to the new server/workstation. This is a business--MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, Quickbooks,
OCR, periodic Paint Shop Pro (dumb Photoshop, or we could make dumb use of Photoshop). Very
remedial uses. At maximum untilization, let's say that each of the three computers would have 15
shared files open, and be on two browsers simultaneously, and get email notification on the
desktop. In fact, let's say I add another client with the same needs.

Objective: Stability, durability, performance. I want the components least likely to fail for 5
years. I want an CPU that will still be pretty zippy for the next 5 years, I don't want a lot of
waiting around on any of the three computers for things to open or calculate, or in moving around
the internet. I'm interested in speed so long as it doesn't meaningfully reduce reliability and
durability, and so long as I'll even notice it in what we do, and in the way business computing
is likely to evolve in the next 5 years.

For the server, I think my component needs are:

Windows Pro 64 bit
DVD writer (one backup tool)
fast wireless/wired network capability
enough RAM so there is no waiting.
500 GB HDD (we now use about 150 GB)
a sturdy and speedy MB and CPU
We use a lot of USB connections, so if USB 3.0 is a lot faster (is it?), then why not have 4-6 of
those?

I'm not sure what to do about an SSD. It has occurred to me to run the entire business on an
SSD, and just copy the data once or twice a week to the HDD. There are indications that SSDs may
not be as stable as HDDs, but it's mostly about power loss, which a UPC with shutdown software
would seem to solve. But is that correct?

I could go as high as $900-$1,000 if the business on an SSD route is advisable. I could get a
smaller SSD for programs only, and probably cut $100-$150 from the budget, reducing it to
$750-$850. I could skip the SSD if it's simply not going to add productivity in a noticeable way
or be stable enough for the business, and cut the budget to $550-$650.

It's not an investment in fun, so I want it to prudent and forward thinking. Why spend $1,000,
when $550 will do just as well to meet current needs and foreseeable needs for 5 years? Why hold
the budget at $550, when $1,000 really will provide better functionality that I would notice in
my business? And just to repeat, the goals are stability, reliability, and noticeable
performance. I would spend more to materially improve any of them.

I know you're very busy, but if any thoughts occurred to you as you read this, please let me know.

benfct

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Please let me say up front that I do not know enough to make any suggestions. I don't game, and I'm on a need-to-know basis with all this. The two things I identified with were: (1) your reservations about a case with blue lights (I went to a custom building website to meet my current business need, and couldn't find one case that seemed suitable for business; I guess I'm just way too far from being a teenage boy--I could be your new baby's grandfather); and (2) your seeking some way to make a rational decision that will be as sturdy as the computers you seek to build.

So instead of suggestions, I have questions. :) I'd like to represent that in helping me, you would gain clarity on your own predicament, but for me to say that would be blatant hubrus.

Hubrus is not my thing, but pushiness--that's different. We're business owners, right?

So here goes:

I need new pc to function as the server/workstation for at least two other clients. Some
sensible folks at another site suggested they should all be on Win 7, vs. the XP I have been
using. Security issues. Some chaps on another site recommended refurb'd dual cores for the client machines: $200
each, with Win 7. That makes sense to me. Does it make sense to you? If that's not your expertise, please just
say so.

Background: Now, on to the new server/workstation. This is a business--MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, Quickbooks,
OCR, periodic Paint Shop Pro (dumb Photoshop, or we could make dumb use of Photoshop). Very
remedial uses. At maximum untilization, let's say that each of the three computers would have 15
shared files open, and be on two browsers simultaneously, and get email notification on the
desktop. In fact, let's say I add another client with the same needs.

Objective: Stability, durability, performance. I want the components least likely to fail for 5
years. I want an CPU that will still be pretty zippy for the next 5 years, I don't want a lot of
waiting around on any of the three computers for things to open or calculate, or in moving around
the internet. I'm interested in speed so long as it doesn't meaningfully reduce reliability and
durability, and so long as I'll even notice it in what we do, and in the way business computing
is likely to evolve in the next 5 years.

For the server, I think my component needs are:

Windows Pro 64 bit
DVD writer (one backup tool)
fast wireless/wired network capability
enough RAM so there is no waiting.
500 GB HDD (we now use about 150 GB)
a sturdy and speedy MB and CPU
We use a lot of USB connections, so if USB 3.0 is a lot faster (is it?), then why not have 4-6 of
those?

I'm not sure what to do about an SSD. It has occurred to me to run the entire business on an
SSD, and just copy the data once or twice a week to the HDD. There are indications that SSDs may
not be as stable as HDDs, but it's mostly about power loss, which a UPC with shutdown software
would seem to solve. But is that correct?

I could go as high as $900-$1,000 if the business on an SSD route is advisable. I could get a
smaller SSD for programs only, and probably cut $100-$150 from the budget, reducing it to
$750-$850. I could skip the SSD if it's simply not going to add productivity in a noticeable way
or be stable enough for the business, and cut the budget to $550-$650.

It's not an investment in fun, so I want it to prudent and forward thinking. Why spend $1,000,
when $550 will do just as well to meet current needs and foreseeable needs for 5 years? Why hold
the budget at $550, when $1,000 really will provide better functionality that I would notice in
my business? And just to repeat, the goals are stability, reliability, and noticeable
performance. I would spend more to materially improve any of them.

I know you're very busy, but if any thoughts occurred to you as you read this, please let me know.

TRENDING THREADS