[SOLVED] Very laggy after last update

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
Fx 8350
8gb ddr3 (soon gonna be 16gb)
1060 6gb

At first when 1903 got released it felt laggy for me but now its...way worse. After an update after 1903 the pc started acting crazy. Like chrome or other windows becoming unresponsive. The taskbar is also being very laggy. Some things even disappearing like text which makes me restart my PC to fix. Its like the whole PC is getting seizures every time i try to make it do more than 3 things at the same time. I even did a full reinstall from Boot drive and the lag is this present. Do you guys are experiencing the same effects or is it just me. All drivers are at on point tho. Dont get me wrong but I think 1903 is far away from performance friendly.

Last edited:
Solution
As I said with regard to Sysinternals, it's the Process Monitor (and there is a portable version as well as an installed version) that you'd be looking for.

When situations like this are occurring I try to keep one of those two things up in "half screen" mode so that I can be keeping an eye on what's happening in semi-real time. You will generally see a clear indication regarding what's getting stuck as it gets stuck, even if the system freezes for a few moments and Task Manager/Process Monitor doesn't update during that freeze.

If you're getting this after a completely clean install of Windows 10 on hardware that had not been having issues before, I suspect either a hardware problem of some sort or a software incompatibility...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It is "just you" and that's true not just for you but for most folks having issues that you don't see written about in the press.

Most issues with computers are idiosyncratic to the machine having the problem. That's just the nature of the beast. If a huge number of people are experiencing it, it will be known about far beyond technical support forum(s).

Have you looked in Task Manager or tried Process Monitor (from Sysinternals, now absorbed by Microsoft, and a free utility) to see what is happening "behind the curtain" when your lagginess is occurring? That would be a good starting point.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
It is "just you" and that's true not just for you but for most folks having issues that you don't see written about in the press.

Most issues with computers are idiosyncratic to the machine having the problem. That's just the nature of the beast. If a huge number of people are experiencing it, it will be known about far beyond technical support forum(s).

Have you looked in Task Manager or tried Process Monitor (from Sysinternals, now absorbed by Microsoft, and a free utility) to see what is happening "behind the curtain" when your lagginess is occurring? That would be a good starting point.
Is it like "recording" what has been happening or is it just showing real time usage because when my lagginess is occurring I cant open anything or close anything. Also I saw that Sysinternals contains like multiple programs. So which one should I look for

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
As I said with regard to Sysinternals, it's the Process Monitor (and there is a portable version as well as an installed version) that you'd be looking for.

When situations like this are occurring I try to keep one of those two things up in "half screen" mode so that I can be keeping an eye on what's happening in semi-real time. You will generally see a clear indication regarding what's getting stuck as it gets stuck, even if the system freezes for a few moments and Task Manager/Process Monitor doesn't update during that freeze.

If you're getting this after a completely clean install of Windows 10 on hardware that had not been having issues before, I suspect either a hardware problem of some sort or a software incompatibility (probably old software). Your basic machine specs certainly fall into the "modern machine" category.

It wouldn't hurt to have Speccy Snapshot, though, for myself or anyone else seeking to give advice. It answers a lot of questions in one fell swoop.
----------------------------------
Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report Them to an Assistant

1. Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2. Run the installer you’ve just downloaded or unzip the ZIP file if you prefer to use the portable version.

a. If you choose to run the installer - Note: The Speccy free installer may now come with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it (or something else, what’s bundled has changed over time). Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install any bundled software when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence. When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.

b. If you go with the portable version just fire up Speccy from the unzipped folder location.

Regardless of which method you choose, you will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3. From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item [or press ALT+F,B]:

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4. You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5. Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Note: If you want to save your system specs to a text file, at step 3 choose the Save as Text File option at step 3. This can be handy if you need to e-mail your specs.

Solution

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017

If you're getting this after a completely clean install of Windows 10 on hardware that had not been having issues before, I suspect either a hardware problem of some sort or a software incompatibility (probably old software). Your basic machine specs certainly fall into the "modern machine" category.

It wouldn't hurt to have Speccy Snapshot, though, for myself or anyone else seeking to give advice. It answers a lot of questions in one fell swoop.
----------------------------------
Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report Them to an Assistant

1. Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2. Run the installer you’ve just downloaded or unzip the ZIP file if you prefer to use the portable version.

a. If you choose to run the installer - Note: The Speccy free installer may now come with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it (or something else, what’s bundled has changed over time). Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install any bundled software when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence. When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.

b. If you go with the portable version just fire up Speccy from the unzipped folder location.

Regardless of which method you choose, you will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3. From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item [or press ALT+F,B]:

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4. You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5. Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Note: If you want to save your system specs to a text file, at step 3 choose the Save as Text File option at step 3. This can be handy if you need to e-mail your specs.
I will be keeping Process Monitor open while browsing or doing other stuff and see if something happens. Also here's the URL from Speecy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/08mnBUvgG8m0jwyNeCYUAR2

Its very strange. It says my GPU 2gb and my ram 533mhz (I know its infact 1066mhz) which I can confirm because for some reason it keeps lowering itself even if i set it to the default speed (1600mhz) after 20-25 times of powering on my pc. Gonna change it to 1600 in the BIOS and see if magically the lag is gone.

shadi shtaklef

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 26, 2015
i believe that using 1903 is lottery. either u are lucky and your computer is perfect and it is faster or u are unlucky and 1903 ruins your computer and it creates problems that were not there before

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Based on the Speccy you've got some sort of "weirdness" with your memory, at the very least.

Speccy reports regarding memory are generally very accurate, and what it's reporting conflicts with what you state you have.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
i believe that using 1903 is lottery.

That doesn't match my personal or professional observation. Version 1903 has, on the whole, been one of the smoothest and most reliable Feature Updates.

If there were any substantial, widespread issues these would be being trumpeted far and wide in the tech press (and, if far and wide enough, popular press). That just has not happened. Contrast that with Version 1809, at least in its early days.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
Based on the Speccy you've got some sort of "weirdness" with your memory, at the very least.

Speccy reports regarding memory are generally very accurate, and what it's reporting conflicts with what you state you have.
100% agree with you. Gotta look up for this issue. Also those 2gb of vram are wrong. I can assure my 1060 have 6gb. even GPU-Z shows it.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
The issue has fixed itself????....Like...everything is back to normal....what the....Windows is a strange OS. I use Linux like 50% of the time I'm on PC because I find it faster to use and way easier. I only use Windows because some programs and games are not ported to Linux or they are badly ported

Dec 16, 2019
Just wanted to drop by and reassure you that theres nothing wrong with your RAM. The RAM is dual channel, 560 MHz per channel. So you double that to get the "correct" speed.