Very long boot after password login

slitcher

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hi everyone !

So I have just finished setting up my new build and I'm having some issues. It's a custom build machine I assembled myself. The components are listed at the end of the thread.

I'm having booting issues. It takes a little over a minute from password login to getting my actual desktop. I get like 40 seconds of Pleas Wait windows loading icon, and then about 20 seconds of blackscreen and THEN I get my desktop. After that it's rocket fast and acting like it should but the startup itself is just killing me.

I've read a little and have seen some pointers but up to now I could not solve the issue. Here's what I tried :

- Ran windows update and motherboard progam update, everything is up to date.

- Ran Soluto, it gave me a report of a little over a minute, I scraped around 10 seconds in useless stuff but, the report also shows some intriguing numbers (see picture attached).

- Ran CCCleaner, wiped pretty much everything I could wipe. Did not see a noticeable improvement.

- Re-Ran Soluto, saw the same numbers as before CCleaner

- Created a new windows user. This one booted up very fast, like my regular user should ...

So now I don't know what to do next. I do not want to let go of my user and use the new one, i'm sure there is a way to solve this, but i'm no expert and really don't know what to try next.

If anyone could help me that'd be really appreciated. I'm just about to reinstall windows from scratch ...

soluto.jpg

- MOBO : GA-Z77X-UD3H
- CPU : i5 3570k
- Ram : 4 X 4GB DDR3 1600 Vengeance Blue
- SSD : OCZ Vertex 3
- PSU : Cooler Master Extreme 2 725W
- Case : Fractal Arc Midi
- GPU : not yet purchased, currently running integrated lol

Solution
If you did the install all option then yes you did do an install of a lot of things you don't need and may never use. You can open the cd and look at what it has to install and then go to the control panel and uninstall some of the things that you know you don't want and see if that makes a difference.
G

Ensure you set up your SSD via any online SSD guide right after the fresh install. Ensure you have the latest motherboard bios. Could be a seating issue with your ram, or compatibility issue with your mb and ram too? Try removing a couple sticks go back to 4 or 8gb see how it boots. Ensure you have AHCI enabled in your bios before installing Windows for your SSD. If all else fails re install Windows again do your SSD setup first then mb drivers then updates for Windows. Hope this helps.

You just built the computer and your saying that you don't want to let go of your user ? I'm not sure I can understand that , why does it make a difference on the user , you just buil;t the computer and it's not like a game where you might lose levels or status. Plus your also saying that your about to reinstall Windows ? The user means nothing you can create a new user as many times as you want. You may want to log in as administrator,

slitcher

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

While itit is true and have to agre with you, here's my though.t

By doing so, i'm just dodging the bullet, instead of solving the root cause. It's most likely something that can be fixed if one user is ok and not the other ... Don't you think ?

i'm thinking it has something to do with the apps and drivers installed from my MB dvd. I pushed the install all button and I just may have installed useless stuff ...

If you did the install all option then yes you did do an install of a lot of things you don't need and may never use. You can open the cd and look at what it has to install and then go to the control panel and uninstall some of the things that you know you don't want and see if that makes a difference.

Solution

slitcher

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
OK so it appears I have solved my problem. I uninstalled everything I could find on Gigabyte's website and reinstalled only the drivers. Now everything seems to function properly and windows boots in no time after password input.