Very Loud Bang from Home Theater when watching from PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCole42

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I have an Integra DTR-40.1 with 5.1 channels. I have Verizon FiOS, a PS3, a Chromecast, and a PC all hooked up to it via HDMI. Everything works great, except for the PC when watching a video file.

Basically, every once in a while - maybe once during an entire 2-hour movie - the speakers will BANG loudly enough for my ears to ring. I think it's every speaker, but certainly the subwoofer is the most pronounced.

This occurs even during quiet scenes in a movie with the volume at a very reasonable level. It only happens with the PC, and only when watching a movie - it doesn't occur with things like games. The problem doesn't seem to be the video file, because I'll re-watch the same scene at the same levels and won't get the bang.

I worry about such a loud bang damaging my speakers, and certainly it's startling for the audience (especially during quiet scenes - I think my furnace exploded). It's also extremely hard to troubleshoot since I can't replicate it and it only happens once every few hours.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could begin? Thanks!

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Great question,on the surface it doesn't appear to make sense as a bang like that would be normally caused by the receivers power supply capacitors discharging but if it happens only when using the PC this cannot be the case.
Is your PC grounded ?
I'm wondering if a capacitor in your PC PSU is discharging to ground and this pulse is travelling through the HDMI into your receiver to ground .
Are there any visual affects onscreeen when this happens.
As a first try I would ensure that both the receiver and the PC were grounded.

DanCole42

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007

Looks like I spoke too soon. I just had the same problem when watching something NOT from the PC... it happened from my Chromecast, which is plugged directly into the AUX HDMI port on the front of the receiver. Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.