Question Very Loud CPU Cooler at Normal Temperatures

sampaudel0

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
My Ryzen 2600X with its default cooler is running at what seems to be high speeds from what I've read online. While idle at ~55 Celcius, it runs at 3000 +- 500 RPM; and under load it runs from 67 - 75 Celcius at over 4700 RPM. I'm sure not if this is to be expected but the noise from the cooler's fan is extremely loud. As well, the speed seems to rapidly change at times. For example, from 1500 to 3000 within a couple of seconds while it is idle the entire time.
I've tried messing around in the BIOS with fan speeds but the fan always seems to be at high RPMs.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from software, or is getting a new cooler my only/best option?

Thanks.

My PC Build:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/ Stock Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
RAM: G. Skill 2x8GB 2866 MHz
Power Supply: EVGA 450 BT
Case: Cougar Solution 2
SSD: Kingston A400 512GB
GPU: MSI Armor RX 570 ARMOR 4GB

sampaudel0

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
This is a common issue with the Wraith coolers. Are you trying to overclock the CPU? If so, stop until you replace the cooler with a quieter, more effective/efficient aftermarket cooler.

I am a big fan of Noctua coolers. One like this would do nicely:

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-u12s-se-am4
Not looking to overclock, it’s more than enough for my RX570. Good to know that it’s a known issue.
By any chance, are there other silent coolers at a lower price point? Maybe around 40 CAD?
Thanks!