Very loud static sound when watching videos

Xemaniac

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
So, I'm not sure if this is a windows or a pc issue.

When I start a HD movie, or just have windows or Kodi on, I get this static noise, and when I play a video it gets even louder.
It sounds like the volume is turned upp really high, to give you an idea of how it sounds.

When there's sound from the movie you really can't hear it, but when it's a quiet part or only talking, it's audible.

This happens from both speakers and headphones, albeit on the speakers it isn't always an issue, since you need to have the sound very high for it to be a problem.

However, since I watch shows and movies mostly with headphones, it's really an issue, it is very audible and disturbing.

I've noticed that when I move my cursor in Windows I get a faint "extra" static sound.

I use a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo.
I've tried disabling WiFi, Bluetooth, changing drivers, change where I connect the power cord in the wall.
Don't know how to fix this.

This is not an issue with my xbox, or my old non-windows, non-pc media player. There was a very faint static on the old media player, but that can be attributed to many a thing, but wasn't a problem.

Any ideas?

System:
Fanless htpc.
120W psu.(it's located at the opposite end of where my hdmi is connected, and uses an external block as a transformator.)
Skylake cpu.
Gigabyte z170n wifi MB.
I use the integrated Gpu and Sound card.

Solution

What? There are no such rules. The only rule is you need to transfer the whole license. Only exception is OEM licenses.

Not really likely, it's a textbook case of interference within the motherboard. If there is any other source it's going to be the PSU, but that's another thing you can't fix on your system

What? There are no such rules. The only rule is you need to transfer the whole license. Only exception is OEM licenses.

Not really likely, it's a textbook case of interference within the motherboard. If there is any other source it's going to be the PSU, but that's another thing you can't fix on your system

Solution

Xemaniac

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
I was not supposed to choose best answer...don't know how to un-select it.

What I find to be strange is that it becomes worse when I play a video, I would understand if it's a MB issue if it's constant.

Xemaniac

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
And would the disturbance go from: PC - hdmi - receiver - headphones/speakers? If there's any way to lower the sound, like when it's not really audible from the speakers unless the sound is very high, if I could lower it a little on the phones too, I'd be fine with that.

Just asking, since changing my MB will be the last option...

Xemaniac

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
Now I connected the headphones to the computer itself, not in the receiver, and I don't have any sounds, Sí it doesn't seem to be the MB.

Could there be something in the hdmi? Since there's sound when I move the cursor, could there be interference because of there being video in hdmi?

Interference depends on power draw most of the time, so playing a video would be worse than listening to music.

You never mentioned a receiver... and that actually takes your computer out of the equation. Try changing the default audio device (right click on volume, playback devices, and select headphones as the audio device) and using the headphones with the computer's output. If that works without issue, you just have receiver issues.

Xemaniac

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
The receiver works fine with my xbox and old media player, so thought that maybe the issue was between the computer and the receiver. I tried a different hdmi, but the problem persisted.

Why would the computer be out of the equation? It is still the audio source.

I can just use the computers headphone output, but I need to change settings everytime i want to watch something without them...