[SOLVED] Very low-end graphics card, worth it as placeholder?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
I'm building a new pc, I have the budget for an RTX 3080, but obviously, it's out of stock. I'm still hunting, I get close sometimes... but since I didn't handle this well and pretty much sold my current pc before I knew how hard it was to obtain a new graphics card, I'm just trying to have a pc running so I'm not PC-less.

I found an AMD ATI RADEON ATI-102-C26405 1GB on eBay for basically $6/$10. I don't know a lot about older cards, but is that adequate? I don't want to spend money on a more modern gen card because I'll have less for the rest of my pc to keep the money I need for an RTX 3080 when I can, and when the RTX 3000 series cards are stably in stock then the prices of all other cards will most likely drop, so I won't be able to sell a more modern gen card for not as much as I bought it for, therefore losing a lot of money just to have it for a couple of months.

Anyway, AMD ATI RADEON ATI-102-C26405 1GB, I can't seem to find many reviews, I don't care about modern Tripple A games, I can go without that for a few months, I know it can handle general workloads. I guess I'm just looking for it to run Minecraft and Overwatch, even at ultra-low settings, I just want playable (maybe ~24 fps, I'll be pairing with a Ryzen 7/9 zen 2/3, idk yet I'm still budgeting based on how soon I can build the pc, ik I'm getting 3600mhz Cl16 RAM.) on Overwatch because I'm a part of a team. If not the AMD ATI RADEON ATI-102-C26405 1GB then what else could be a good pick? Thanks for the help!

Also found an AMD Radeon R5 240 1GB, is that a better choice? It's a little more expensive.

Solution
The HD6450 would be a perfect card to get dual/triple monitor setups up and running on a very old machine, like a Core 2 Duo/Quad system. For gaming, obviously not.

Those titles you're looking at will likely just fizzle the card out. The R5 240 on the other hand should keep it's head above the water with e-sports titles.

Lutfij

Titan
The HD6450 would be a perfect card to get dual/triple monitor setups up and running on a very old machine, like a Core 2 Duo/Quad system. For gaming, obviously not.

Those titles you're looking at will likely just fizzle the card out. The R5 240 on the other hand should keep it's head above the water with e-sports titles.

Solution

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019

So the R5 240 would probably be the best choice?
(edit: I bought it)

Also, would I need to buy new graphics card power connectors to connect it to a fully-modular power supply, or do they still use the current ones?

Last edited:

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
you don't buy power connectors. they come from your PSU (power supply Unit). standard is 6-pin or 8-pin
for the RTX3080, there is a special 12-pin plug that nvidia tries to push. but in the box there is an adaptor for 12 pin to 2x 8 pin

it's a RARE (maybe even unique) case where using a power connector adaptor is advised.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
you don't buy power connectors. they come from your PSU (power supply Unit). standard is 6-pin or 8-pin
for the RTX3080, there is a special 12-pin plug that nvidia tries to push. but in the box there is an adaptor for 12 pin to 2x 8 pin

it's a RARE (maybe even unique) case where using a power connector adaptor is advised.
ik, I was just wondering that, since that card is old if they used something else. I assume 6-pin because it's the lowest?

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
ok sorry i misunderstand

the R5 240 does not need any connector. And yes the 6-pin and 8-pin are the only GPU connectors for PSUs ever used. Maybe some sketchy low quality design used molex.

before that the only card i know that used additionnal power aside from the main PCI/AGP slot was some voodoo cards that used an external power brick lol

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
ok sorry i misunderstand

the R5 240 does not need any connector. And yes the 6-pin and 8-pin are the only GPU connectors for PSUs ever used. Maybe some sketchy low quality design used molex.

before that the only card i know that used additionnal power aside from the main PCI/AGP slot was some voodoo cards that used an external power brick lol
Ok, thanks for the reply! So I can basically put it in any modern system and it would work? No weird driver updates needed for it to function because of how old it is?