Very low FPS(20) in some games after re-installing windows 7

handakes

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
hi there

first of all i don't know if that's the right section for such problem but plz..if its not feel free to move it wherever u see fit.

so here's the thing..i recently re-installed windows 7 64x ultimate instead of another working 7 system cuz i had some problems with gaming..anyway, b4 the re-install i used to play games on maxed out settings with no problem.

after the re-install, i downloaded and installed the latest drivers and everything and then i tried to run Gears of war only to get a runtime error..so i search on google, and i find this topic on Epic forums telling me that if i ran gears of war on compatibility mode of windows 95 i should not get that error..so i do that and i disable the visual themes as well ..

when i first tried to run the game on these settings i got a pop-up telling me to run cpu driver so i just click run but i get this message that AMDcpu driver is for windows xp only..anyway the game runs (yaay!) but at a very low fps (20 missured with fraps) in the menus..so i figure, why not, after all i disabled the visual theme and ran it in in windows 95 comp mode,i thought it would be fine once i start playing, so when i start playing i get nice fps like i thought for like the first 5 seconds..then everything falls apart..frame rate drops to 10.when i try to run the game again i get the same fps (20) even without the initial boosted framerate

tried lowering all graphics to minimum but that didn't help at all..it's like it's locked at 20 fps!

thinking it's the game installation that's corrupt i re-install the game and this time without running the game in comp mode 95 i get the game running without the error but i still get the low fps..

like if that's not bad enough..now i get the same FPS drop in assassin's creed II which i used to run just find b4 that little stunt of mine..

the weird thing is that i tried modern warfare 2 multiplayer and it worked fine without fps drops..

please help me..i used to run all these game just fine but now i can't!

SPECS:
System:windows 7 Ultimate 64x
CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Core Black edition 2.5Ghz
Ram:1x4 G
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H
VGA: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic

thnx :)

handakes

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

while i do appreciate ur reply..i wouldn't have said "stuck" if i hadn't tried that already :)

i think i already exhausted all the obvious solutions..ofc that doesn't mean u guys won't reply to say something u think it is obvious (after all it may be obvious to u but not to me :p) so if you think u r saying something obvious, pair it with some thing that's not :p

thnx a lot for the reply man :)...keep them coming :)

handakes

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

alright...downloading and trying it now

COLGeek

Cybernaut

A clean install, with fresh drivers and application installs would likely clean up your issues. However, I don't understand your "i didn't format the driver in this last re-install" comment. Did you perform an upgrade from a previous install, or did you move an install from one system config to another (like swapping in a new motherboard)?

Have you tried removing the game in question? If not, do so and then run ccleaner (piriform.com/ccleaner) to remove any left over registry entries. You may also need to look in your program files folders to remove any game folders as well.

See if this helps.

handakes

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
what i did last time was an advanced install but i didn't format the driver..it wasn't an upgrade, it was a new install but without formatting the driver first like u do when u boot from the DVD, last time i did the setup from the already working windows system)

anyway..now i formatted my C drive and re-installed windows..configured every driver again and set up the game again, without any luck! still get the FPS hit!..so i use the driver sweeper and remove that driver (11.1) and move back to an older one thinking it's a problem from the driver it self..and i still get the same problem..

i know my rig can own this game (gears of war) and it used to..what's different now?..think it's a hardware related issue? hope it's not...

handakes

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
wow i finally know what was wrong...it was not about the drivers or anything..i installed the 11.1 driver again and tried assassin's creed II again and it worked just fine!..now i know what's wrong, i was using a program called Xbox360 controller emulator to emulate the xbox360 controller form on my regular ps2 controllers ( the game sees my controller as an xbox controller) and i was using it for both assassin's creed II and gears of war, when i reinstalled assassin's creed II i didn't use the emulator for the sake of trying it fast, but i used it with gears of war when i first tried it,hence..assassin's creed II was running ok after the windows reinstall but gears of war was still laggy..when i tried the emulator with assassin's creed II the problem came back..and when i removed it from gears of war and played with keyboard and mouse it was fine again..so i think i caught the little ah heck that was causing all this!..man i can't believe i reformatted my C drive for this xD..anyway..i still don't know why the emulator caused this because b4 the first windows reinstall i used to run it and use it just fine..well, at least now i know what's wrong and i can go to Toca Edit (the guys who created the emulator) and ask for a solution..thnx a lot for the help and sorry for wasting ur time :)

TRENDING THREADS