karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I recently bought a new pc with GTX 2060 Super card.

I could not find the monitor I wanted in our nearby stores, so waiting for the stock to arrive.
So currently using my cousin's Monitor LG 22MP68VQ, which has 60Hz 1080p display.

I was playing GTA V and was shocked to see only 25 to 30 fps even at all graphic settings to the max, keeping 1080p resolution and 60Hz rate.
CPU and GPU utilization were around 45% for each and temps were around 45-50 C for each.

Can you tell me why I am getting very low FPS? Even if it was monitor, I thought I should be getting at least 50-60 fps.

Below is my configuration:
  1. CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
  2. RAM - Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 3200MHz
  3. GPU - Gigabyte 2060 Super Windforce OC
  4. MOBO - B450 MSI Tomahawk Max
Thanks.

Solution

I could not find the monitor I wanted in our nearby stores, so waiting for the stock to arrive.
So currently using my cousin's Monitor LG 22MP68VQ, which has 60Hz 1080p display.

I was playing GTA V and was shocked to see only 25 to 30 fps even at all graphic settings to the max, keeping 1080p resolution and 60Hz rate.
CPU and GPU utilization were around 45% for each and temps were around 45-50 C for each.

Can you tell me why I am getting very low FPS? Even if it was monitor, I thought I should be getting at least 50-60 fps.

1. CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
  4. MOBO - B450 MSI...

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Go into nvidia control panel settings and make sure you set everything to performance mode or the highest modes there are. Look at online guides to see how to optimally configure them. Also make sure your amd chipset and nvidia drivers are up to date.

Updating drivers, maximizing/optimizing settings - those are all done. I even tried using Nvidia GeForce Experience recommended settings for games and the result is same.

I'm gonna assume you put the '' around very because it's an older generation board so relative to other x570 bios it's not the 'latest'. But sure let's say you have the very latest bios for THAT board.

Are other games lagging by the way? Or just GTA? Try running a uningine heaven, valley or superposition benchmark to stress that GPU and cinebench r15 or r20 for CPU. See if you are even able to max out your components.

1. CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
  4. MOBO - B450 MSI Tomahawk Max
Thanks.
Make sure the refreshrate is not set to Half in the games graphics settings menu, because at 60Hz it will be 30fps locked. Also check in the Nvidia Control Panel Manage 3D settings menu, in both global and in GTAV, that the v-sync setting is set to "Use 3D application setting" and not Adaptive (half refresh rate).

Last edited:
Solution

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Make sure the refreshrate is not set to Half in the games graphics settings menu, because at 60Hz it will be 30fps locked. Also check in the Nvidia Control Panel Manage 3D settings menu, in both global and in GTAV, that the v-sync setting is set to "Use 3D application setting" and not Adaptive (half half refresh rate).

Refresh rate is set to 60Hz as the monitor is 60Hz only. I never heard about 60Hz could get 30fps locked, but interesting.
Tried adaptive and other options too for the settings.

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Ok friends, Today I got an update for Nvidia drivers, somehow I'm getting more fps now.

Except for GTA V, some games like Shadow of War, Far Cry 4 etc are giving nearly 140 fps. Earlier they were all locked at 30 fps. Now getting either 60 fps constantly or sometimes 120+ fps for few games. I didn't change any setting except updating drivers.

By the way, what temperatures are normal for such GPUs? This is the first time I'm using a gaming pc. Earlier it was around 83-92 C in my laptop. Currently for this GPU I'm getting around 60-75C for Ultra settings for most of the games. Not yet seen 80C even during benchmarks.

Refresh rate is set to 60Hz as the monitor is 60Hz only. I never heard about 60Hz could get 30fps locked, but interesting.
Tried adaptive and other options too for the settings.
I was saying that if the refresh rate is set to 60 and you have v-sync on, you will be locked to 60fps, but if you have adaptive v-sync half refresh rate enabled it will lock the fps to 30. So by installing a new driver, you likely fixed the problem by overwriting the previous settings that were causing the issue.

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I was saying that if the refresh rate is set to 60 and you have v-sync on, you will be locked to 60fps, but if you have adaptive v-sync half refresh rate enabled it will lock the fps to 30. So by installing a new driver, you likely fixed the problem by overwriting the previous settings that were causing the issue.

Probably...For now, the problem is almost fixed. Just for few games still persists. Either they are unoptimized or I have to still bruteforce some settings.

Could you please reply to my previous post in this same thread about temperatures?