[SOLVED] Very low FPS on old games

OwenJW

Reputable
Nov 1, 2019
Hi,

i have a FPS problem with just about any game. My PC isn't the best, but it exceeds a lot of recommended specs from older games, in this instance, Bioshock 1.
The Recommended specs are:
  • Operating System: Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
  • RAM: 2GB; Video Card: DX 9 - Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB RAM and Pixel Shader 3.0 (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better), DX 10 - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
  • Sound Card: SoundBlaster(r) X-Fi(tm) series (optimized foruse with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)
  • Hard Drive: 8GB
I have:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1gb
12 GB RAM

Windows 10
1920x1080

On medium quality settings and low resolution(1280x720), i'm lucky to get 20FPS.
But that's about the same i get on games that require a GTX 660 as minimum.
My GPU is constantly on 100% so i guess it gets utilized properly, cpu, ram and just about anything else never reach 50%.

Does someone have an idea on where the problem lies? Is it simply my GPU or a bottleneck somewhere else?
It feels like i could play smoother on my old intel 4400.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Damn.. Never new. Don't have the money for a decent upgrade but will look for a $40 second hand card somehwere.
Thanks.

The GT 610 is theoretically faster than some of those very old GPUs, but they were also contemporary to the games and had better driver support. A 610 isn't a gaming GPU, it's a "be able to use your office computer if the CPU doesn't have integrated graphics" GPU. Now, there could be something else going on, but a GT 610 is not a good solution for anything related to gaming.

OwenJW

Reputable
Nov 1, 2019
Could there be a reason why it's at 100% due to some fault on the gpu?
Correct me if i'm wrong, but if i compare recommended gpu's to my gpu, mine exceeds some with 200-400% on most areas. How come it still can't run it decently?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Damn.. Never new. Don't have the money for a decent upgrade but will look for a $40 second hand card somehwere.
Thanks.

The GT 610 is theoretically faster than some of those very old GPUs, but they were also contemporary to the games and had better driver support. A 610 isn't a gaming GPU, it's a "be able to use your office computer if the CPU doesn't have integrated graphics" GPU. Now, there could be something else going on, but a GT 610 is not a good solution for anything related to gaming.

Solution

OwenJW

Reputable
Nov 1, 2019
Will the Asus GTX 760 DC20C 2GD5 or the Radeon HD7870 XT 2GB GDDR5
fit in my PC?

Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Elite 8300 MT
System ManufacturerHewlett-Packard
System ModelHP Compaq Elite 8300 MT
System TypeDesktop
Motherboard ManufacturerHewlett-Packard
Motherboard Product3397

I think i have the Intel q77 express chipset.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Will the Asus GTX 760 DC20C 2GD5 or the Radeon HD7870 XT 2GB GDDR5
fit in my PC?

Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Elite 8300 MT
System ManufacturerHewlett-Packard
System ModelHP Compaq Elite 8300 MT
System TypeDesktop
Motherboard ManufacturerHewlett-Packard
Motherboard Product3397

I think i have the Intel q77 express chipset.

The key is the power supply, which you'll have to look at.

OwenJW

Reputable
Nov 1, 2019
Just figured out i need all kinds of converting cables and what not to get a new psu in there.
I'll save up to build/buy a new rig. Probably best. Thanks for the assistance!