Question very low fps

Oct 18, 2019
okay I am playing a game [fortnite]
and when I play the game on my I5 8600k [4.7 ghz opverlock] and my gtx 1060 3gb [overlcocked ]16gb ram ddr4 my game has a lot of frame drops
the weird thing is tho that when I play on all my settings almost maxed out or all my settings at the lowest my fps does not change it practicly stays the same
i don't no what to do cause when i look in my task manager and look at the usage my videcard is not using that mutch but my cpu is always at 80 procent or higher
so i tried to lower the overclock on my cpu but the diverence was not there
maybe my system was not good enough so I looked at other people the game play whit the same specs and there fps was just fine
can somewhone help my explain what is rong

It could be a number of things but take a look at task manager to see what other programmes are using CPU resources. Also check startup and disable any startup programmes that are not required. I would also uninstall the Nvidia drivers with DDU and do a fresh install of the latest drivers.

Hopefully others will jump in but it would be good to know all your specs:

RAM 2 x 8GB at what speed
Motherboard
PSU

Oct 18, 2019
It could be a number of things but take a look at task manager to see what other programmes are using CPU resources. Also check startup and disable any startup programmes that are not required. I would also uninstall the Nvidia drivers with DDU and do a fresh install of the latest drivers.

Hopefully others will jump in but it would be good to know all your specs:

RAM 2 x 8GB at what speed
Motherboard
PSU
i have already done all the things u said to do and my specs are
cpu : I5 8600k 4.7 GHz
gpu gtx 1060 3gb
ram : 8gb x2 2400 MHz
motherboard z370 aorus ultra gaming wifi
450W psu
256gb ssd

XxDaBombGamerxX

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
The random frame drops may be a sign of thermal throttling. Have you taken a look at your temps? What cooler are you running with that rig? And as @vMax stated, 80% seems high for fortnite, so take a look at what programs are running in the background.

Oct 18, 2019
i have already done all the things u said to do and my specs are
cpu : I5 8600k 4.7 GHz
gpu gtx 1060 3gb
ram : 8gb x2 2400 MHz
motherboard z370 aorus ultra gaming wifi
450W psu
256gb ssd
The random frame drops may be a sign of thermal throttling. Have you taken a look at your temps? What cooler are you running with that rig? And as @vMax stated, 80% seems high for fortnite, so take a look at what programs are running in the background.
nothing is running in the back ground and my temps are max 68 degrees on almost all cores some cores are lower and the psu is not low quality I just don't now the specific type of powersuply out of my head and I cant see it cause then I have to take it out my drivers are up to date and my ssd is fine

and when I play the game on my I5 8600k [4.7 ghz opverlock] and my gtx 1060 3gb [overlcocked ]16gb ram ddr4 my game has a lot of frame drops
the weird thing is tho that when I play on all my settings almost maxed out or all my settings at the lowest my fps does not change it practicly stays the same
i don't no what to do cause when i look in my task manager and look at the usage my videcard is not using that mutch but my cpu is always at 80 procent or higher
so i tried to lower the overclock on my cpu but the diverence was not there
maybe my system was not good enough so I looked at other people the game play whit the same specs and there fps was just fine
can somewhone help my explain what is rong
How many fps were you getting? (or expecting to get?) and how many fps do you actually get?

Is it wise to overclock when you are using a relatively low power output PSU? From what I understand of overclocking even a modest clockspeed increase requires a lot more power. It wouldn't be something I would consider doing with a 450W PSU.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Is it wise to overclock when you are using a relatively low power output PSU? From what I understand of overclocking even a modest clockspeed increase requires a lot more power. It wouldn't be something I would consider doing with a 450W PSU.
Ive over clocked a AMD fx6300 with a 450watt PSU and was completely stable, having a 450Watt PSU I dont think would be an issue provided the rest of the system isn't sucking up all the power, such as GPU which could be drawing 120watts or more, fans, hard drives etc, all will draw power, but doesn't mean it will exceed what a 450 watt PSU could handle. (again provided the rest isn't stealing excessive amounts) however I could be wrong .. I just know from experience Ive used a 450watt PSU and overclocked without issue ,but did have a low end GPU wich only ever used max 75 watts

If we install run HWMonitor and Prime95/small FFTs(custom/no AVX2) for even 10 minutes, we will soon know if throttling is/was/could be an issue...

The 1060 (3 GB) is already a GPU that often can't run high/ ultra quality at 1080P (lacks VRAM), best to settle on medium quality/no AA to keep frame rates up...

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
just decided for fun to look at your parts on Power supply calculator site, and just the parts listed with 2 added fans ( I figured must have 2 anyway ) .. and a 500GB SSD (not sure on your storage) but sadly it comes out at around 300 watts, the Recommended min PSU is 500watts.. and that's not with CPU OC.. so might very well be a power issue

TRENDING THREADS