Question VERY Low GPU Utilization In Games (RTX 2080)

ryansbenn0

Reputable
Oct 6, 2018
BACK STORY:
About 2 months ago this was my computer spec:

AMD R7 2700x
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4 RAM @2400mhz
ASUS Prime X470 Pro Motherboard
650W Corsair 650M Power Supply

I was playing a game one day, and my card just randomly stopped working. Not really sure what happened, just mid game the display went out and my card was bricked. I hadn't done any overclocking, I didn't get any surge throughout the house, it literally just stopped working. Fans wouldn't spin, I even put it into my friends system and nothing on it was working.
I had already planned to start gaming in 1440p, and wanted to upgrade my GPU anyways, so I went ahead and purchased an RTX 2080.

THE PROBLEMS:
After receiving my RTX 2080, I went ahead and installed it. So here are my current specs:

AMD R7 2700x
Gigabyte RTX 2080
16GB DDR4 RAM @2400mhz

I noticed recently while playing games such as BF1, Anthem, State of Decay 2, Final Fantasy XV, Skyrim, and The Witcher 3(Just listing examples so people don't ask what kind of games I tested) that my GPU was only hovering around 45%-60% utilization. Now, I am still running in 1080p, but using the Nvidia DSR options I set my in game resolution to somewhere around 1440p, and I noticed I was still getting the same exact issue. I also noticed that depending on the game I was playing, my CPU utilization was also not very high. My first thought was that maybe it's some sort of RAM issue, I do plan to upgrade my RAM to a higher frequency, but I'm just not really sure if that would fix this issue.

I'd just really like to get some input on this because games are sometimes dropping to VERY low framerates, and I don't understand why my GPU is stuck at such a low utilization.
For example in Anthem, around the forge at Fort Tarsis, I will sometimes drop to as low as 40fps. In State of Decay 2 I will drop somewhere into the 40's as well, and this is all in 1080p. In most other games, I won't really drop below the mid 50's, but that's still way too low for something like an RTX 2080, in 1080p.

Mar 14, 2019
BACK STORY:
About 2 months ago this was my computer spec:

AMD R7 2700x
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4 RAM @2400mhz

I was playing a game one day, and my card just randomly stopped working. Not really sure what happened, just mid game the display went out and my card was bricked. I hadn't done any overclocking, I didn't get any surge throughout the house, it literally just stopped working. Fans wouldn't spin, I even put it into my friends system and nothing on it was working.
I had already planned to start gaming in 1440p, and wanted to upgrade my GPU anyways, so I went ahead and purchased an RTX 2080.

THE PROBLEMS:
After receiving my RTX 2080, I went ahead and installed it. So here are my current specs:

AMD R7 2700x
Gigabyte RTX 2080
16GB DDR4 RAM @2400mhz

I noticed recently while playing games such as BF1, Anthem, State of Decay 2, Final Fantasy XV, Skyrim, and The Witcher 3(Just listing examples so people don't ask what kind of games I tested) that my GPU was only hovering around 45%-60% utilization. Now, I am still running in 1080p, but using the Nvidia DSR options I set my in game resolution to somewhere around 1440p, and I noticed I was still getting the same exact issue. I also noticed that depending on the game I was playing, my CPU utilization was also not very high. My first thought was that maybe it's some sort of RAM issue, I do plan to upgrade my RAM to a higher frequency, but I'm just not really sure if that would fix this issue.

I'd just really like to get some input on this because games are sometimes dropping to VERY low framerates, and I don't understand why my GPU is stuck at such a low utilization.
For example in Anthem, around the forge at Fort Tarsis, I will sometimes drop to as low as 40fps. In State of Decay 2 I will drop somewhere into the 40's as well, and this is all in 1080p. In most other games, I won't really drop below the mid 50's, but that's still way too low for something like an RTX 2080, in 1080p.
This may be a given but have you downloaded the specific driver for the 2080 when you switched?

ryansbenn0

Reputable
Oct 6, 2018
Forgot to update this extremely long time ago, but I could never find a solution to this issue. Drivers were up to date, temps were fine, CPU wasn't having any issues with voltage or performance, RAM was working as intended. Ended up doing a factory reset of windows and that fixed my issues.