Very low storage on my SSD

oopwnedoo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I have a Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SATA Solid State Drive, with a Seagate 1.5TB Serial ATA Hard Drive.

I'm using the SSD for windows files and some programs... My programs on the SSD only take up about 2gb space, so I'm fine with that.

The total amount of storage on my being used is 25gb with programs and windows files.

The amount I have to use on the SSD Is 55.7gb, So what happened to the rest of it? I should have about 20~30 GB free..

I turned off the hibernation file and deleted it too... I have 32GB of RAM

Any Idea how I could free up the space?

Also.. It gets lower and lower everyday by windows update... How could I get windows update to install on the other drive?

Heres some pics:

6HXYd.png

tl4we.png

xbhfh.png

2t4EE.png

Thanks for reading.

Windows 7 with all Service Packs and updates takes around 20GB. So you should have around 35.7GB of free space if you installed no other software besides Windows.
Windows updates have to be on your C: drive only.

Run Windows Disk Cleanup and see if there are there any temporary files that you can delete.

You can also go into Control Panel and click on "Uninstall a program". There you will see all programs installed on your system.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Also check to see how many system restore files you have. You can delete any of them with CCleaner. If you have a backup program running check to make sure it's not being backed up on the same drive (although some kind of warning should pop up for that).

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
OK, if you selected everything in c:\ drive and it doesn't add up to the usage, then you have hidden files.

Likely still the hibernation file and pagefile.

Go to folder options, there are 2 checkboxes to configure
-show hidden files radio box
-uncheck hide protected operating system files

Then you should REALLY see everything in C drive and the math should work out.

oopwnedoo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
This is a few day old new build, thanks for your responses i'll do everything and keep you guys updated..

As for hibernation files, already disabled and deleted.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
again, if you did the uncheck hide protected OS files, then you will easily see where your space is consumed.

Then at least you will have no mystery about where the space went and the math will work out. Selecting everything at c:\ root will add up precisely to the usage.
If not hibernate, then it's Pagefile.

IF the math is already right, and the sum of all the selection equals the usage, then it's up to you to figure out what to delete/cleanup.

But my point is most people don't even reconcile the math part, and don't even know where the space went.

oopwnedoo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I revealed all the hidden folders,

It won't let me upload pictures for some reason... but it says: Size: 61.5GB and size on disk 58GB when I right click all the folders and go to properties on disk C:

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
your original picture showed when you selected everything in C:\ that it took up 25gbs

Now you are saying when you selected everythign it calculates up 58gbs.

So describe the files that are consuming your disk.

If it is pagefile.sys then change your pagefile. Otherwise you need to breakdown what is taking the space and describe each folder

oopwnedoo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

how do I change pagefile ?

oopwnedoo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Thanks! Before doing it can somebody explain to me what pagefile does and how it will affect my system if I turn it off?

TRENDING THREADS