Build Advice Very New to PC Builds, Mainly Seeking Motherboard/Components Advice

Jun 28, 2022
Hence my username, I am a complete newbie to this. Please bare with me.

I've decided to build a new PC, specifically for gaming.

I've understood that the motherboard is mainly the foundation for all other components. I'm just not sure which one to pick or which kinds to look for. One of my friends told me that AMD boards were a good choice, but I also heard that they absolutely devour electricity. I'm not trying to put a huge dent in my electricity bill, so should I go for Intel instead?

I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.

USAFRet

Titan
For a whole new system, start here:

Post in the Systems Forum.

Jun 28, 2022
For a whole new system, start here:

Post in the Systems Forum.
Apologies; will move my post there .

Reactions: Why_Me
Jun 28, 2022
Hence my username, I am a complete newbie to this. Please bare with me.

I've decided to build a new PC, specifically for gaming.

I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.

More info found below:

Approximate Purchase Date: Within 1-2 months

Budget Range:
400-550 USD on total build, willing to spend more if needed

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Gaming (Mainly games such as Battlefront 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Witcher 3, etc.) if that helps
2. Academics
3. Streaming games (On discord, I'll only be streaming to a small group of friends so this won't need as much consideration)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Starting completely from scratch, would need recs for most/all components including new/used PC cases

Do you need to buy OS: Not sure, would appreciate advice on this
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
I don't have a preference, but I would prefer any websites with cheaper selections/ reasonable prices

Parts Preferences: Motherboard
-Please read: I've understood that the motherboard is mainly the foundation for all other components. I'm just not sure which one to pick or which kinds to look for. One of my friends told me that AMD boards were a good choice, but I also heard that they absolutely devour electricity. I'm not trying to put a huge dent in my electricity bill, so should I go for Intel instead?

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: Don't have an idea of what monitor I want yet, nor do I have an idea of the resolution. Any component recommendations that depend on this info do not need to be focused on at the moment.

Additional Comments:
  • Im also seeking cooling systems that would assist in quiet, safe use (without any risk of heating up badly or catching fire).
  • I dont mind the appearance of the case, but I do have a small room thus I would prefer a smaller case
  • I have decided to place my PC in a 10.5" x 18" space if it helps with choosing what size case I should select

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Im choosing to build this PC because I originally tried running games on my LG Gram (obviously didnt work). I wanted to make a setup that could help me have a smooth and decent gaming experience.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022
AMD versus Intel decision needs to be made, but there are quite successful gaming builds with both.

Try to stay with most recent generation parts.

Budget?

Where are you?

Do you need to buy Windows and a monitor in that budget?
Hello, thanks for the comment. I have made a more detailed post regarding this.

Budget Range:

100-200 USD on individual components, willing to spend a little more if needed

Do you need to buy OS: Not sure, would appreciate advice on this

Parts Preferences: Motherboard

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

[*]Im also seeking cooling systems that would assist in quiet, safe use (without any risk of heating up badly or catching fire).

[*]I dont mind the appearance of the case, but I do have a small room thus I would prefer a smaller case

[*]I have decided to place my PC in a 10.5" x 18" space if it helps with choosing what size case I should select
[/LIST]

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Im choosing to build this PC because I originally tried running games on my LG Gram (obviously didnt work). I wanted to make a setup that could help me have a smooth and decent gaming experience.

In your other post, you said you were "completely new to PCs".

I take that to mean you have never used a PC and never used Windows. Is that correct?

We need a TOTAL budget; not for each part; 100 to 200 doesn't help.

I would urge you to forget about SLI and Crossfire. And probably about overclocking as well, although you might end up with parts that are capable of it.

"Quiet, safe" cooling for a newbie would strongly imply air cooling, not liquid.

You should be OK with a "mid-tower" case and quite possibly a micro ATX motherboard, which might save you a few bucks and be consistent with a mid size or smallish case.

Please provide height, width, and depth of this case location and let us know how iron-clad that requirement is. Many cases are about 9 wide, 17 tall, and 17 deep and you would NOT want to crowd their space to avoid cooling issues.

More info pending more detail from you.

Will you have any face to face help when you build or will all help be online only?

Have you totally rejected the idea of buying a pre-built machine?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hello, thanks for the comment. I have made a more detailed post regarding this.

And I've merged it, no reason to create multiple posts for the same thing.

Reactions: GamingPCnewb
Jun 28, 2022
In your other post, you said you were "completely new to PCs".

I take that to mean you have never used a PC and never used Windows. Is that correct?

We need a TOTAL budget; not for each part; 100 to 200 doesn't help.

I would urge you to forget about SLI and Crossfire. And probably about overclocking as well, although you might end up with parts that are capable of it.

"Quiet, safe" cooling for a newbie would strongly imply air cooling, not liquid.

You should be OK with a "mid-tower" case and quite possibly a micro ATX motherboard, which might save you a few bucks and be consistent with a mid size or smallish case.

Please provide height, width, and depth of this case location and let us know how iron-clad that requirement is. Many cases are about 9 wide, 17 tall, and 17 deep and you would NOT want to crowd their space to avoid cooling issues.

More info pending more detail from you.

Will you have any face to face help when you build or will all help be online only?

Have you totally rejected the idea of buying a pre-built machine?

Yes, I have never used PCs nor have I used windows.

I edited my post to state the total budget: 1500-2000 USD. willing to spend more if needed.
just saw your newer comment, so I edited the budget above
Case location dimensions:
Depth: 10,5"(I could move my desk to make room for more, but I believe this is sufficient.)
Width: 18" Maximum
Height: 26" Maximum

These are very loose requirements. Even though my room is small, I could still move things around to accommodate.

I will have very limited face-to face help when I build. 90% will be online and although I do know a few people who may help me I'm not sure how available they'll be to assist. Just to be safe I'm going to say that for now, I'll have online-only help.

I haven't totally rejected the idea of a pre-built machine, but I prefer the option of building one myself. If buying a pre-built machine is somehow cheaper, I'll consider it

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Mid-Tower-PH-EC400ATG_BK01-Tempered-Controller/dp/B07TYR1P1G/
Phanteks Eclipse P400A Mesh Front Panel Tempered Glass Fan Controller Mid Tower Computer Case $99.99

Rear exhaust fan for that case.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00119A-P12-Black-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07GB5JRTZ/
ARCTIC P12 PWM 120mm 4-Pin Case Fan $9.49

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-750-g6-220-g6-0750-x1-750w/p/N82E16817438213
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G6 750W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply $89.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144528
MSI MAG B660M BAZOOKA DDR4 $139.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NPJRDGD
Intel Core i5-12400F $169.95

DeepCool GAMMAXX GTE V2 Black CPU Cooler $29.99

https://www.newegg.com/team-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820331618
Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z DDR4 3200MHz 32GB (2x16GB) CL16 $89.97

PNY CS1030 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 Internal SSD $154.99

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Graphics-DisplayPort-Military-Grade-Certification/dp/B096YPLGHG/
ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3070 Ti OC Graphics Card $699.00

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-11-USB/dp/B09V6R9QZZ
Microsoft Windows 11 (USB) $139.00

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012015
GIGABYTE G27Q 27" 144Hz 1440P, 2560 x 1440 IPS, 1ms (MPRT) Response Time,, VESA Display, HDR400, FreeSync Premium Gaming Monitor $249.99

Total: $1873.34

A better look at those components.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/G27Q#kf

https://phanteks.com/Eclipse-P400A.html

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B660M-BAZOOKA-DDR4

https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cooling/cpuaircoolers/2021/11879.shtml

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2400f-processor-18m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

i512400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

i512400.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have never used PCs nor have I used windows.

I edited my post to state the total budget: 1500-2000 USD. willing to spend more if needed.

Case location dimensions:
Width: 10,5"(I could move my desk to make room for more, but I believe this width is sufficient.)
Length: 18" Maximum
Depth: 26" Maximum

I haven't totally rejected the idea of a pre-built machine, but I prefer the option of building one myself. If buying a pre-built machine is somehow cheaper, I'll consider it

At 1500 to 2000, I'd at least consider pre-built. Everyone would like to see you build it yourself. I can understand that.

But you have to weigh the advantages of building (personal satisfaction, total control of components, spending maybe 1500 rather than 2000) against the disadvantages.....most of which are related to your inexperience and possible frustration. Your call. I bought my first one and have built since. If you are patient and budget is a significant concern, build it.

The case will stand upright, not low like a typewriter or stereo receiver. Think height, width, depth. Not "length". Ideally sitting in the open air, not in a compartment.

Jun 28, 2022
At 1500 to 2000, I'd at least consider pre-built. Everyone would like to see you build it yourself. I can understand that.

But you have to weigh the advantages of building (personal satisfaction, total control of components, spending maybe 1500 rather than 2000) against the disadvantages.....most of which are related to your inexperience and possible frustration. Your call. I bought my first one and have built since. If you are patient and budget is a significant concern, build it.

The case will stand upright, not low like a typewriter or stereo receiver. Think height, width, depth. Not "length". Ideally sitting in the open air, not in a compartment.
I am patient, and for me budget is a high concern. I will definitely consider buying a pre-built though as my inexperience may mess things up, though I do have a lot of help (albeit, online) available and am extremely cautious when it comes to projects. I'll give it a bit more thought before I begin to buy the components. I appreciate the help

As for the case, I'll change my previous comment.

Here's some rough prices to get you in the ballpark:

Case; 70

CPU 200

Motherboard; micro ATX; 150

CPU cooler 50

RAM; 16 GB of DDR4; 60

Windows 130

SSD; 1 TB capacity; 100

Power supply 80

Monitor; 250?

Keyboard/mouse; basic; 30

A couple of case fans; 20

That's 1070;

Blow most or all of the rest of your budget on a video card. Likely 400 plus.

You don't have to decide on Intel or AMD processors immediately.

Instead, you might prowl around on Amazon or Newegg for a case that appeals to you aesthetically. Look in "mid tower" categories. Maybe under 100 bucks. Decide if you want a window on one side or not. Look at the specification sheets in detail...possibly at the manufacturer's web site. Try to find one where the "maximum cooler height" specification is 160 mm or more.

Newegg has a much better search and sort capability than Amazon for choosing components.

Decent brands; Fractal Design; Phanteks; Lian Li; others if budget demands. Antec? Corsair? Cases have gotten a lot more expensive in the last few years.

A motherboard and CPU should fit in this case regardless of whether you ultimately go with AMD or Intel.

Probably plan on a micro ATX motherboard, 130 to 180 bucks. You need to decide AMD or Intel before you choose a motherboard.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022

Instead, you might prowl around on Amazon or Newegg for a case that appeals to you aesthetically. Look in "mid tower" categories. Maybe under 100 bucks. Decide if you want a window on one side or not. Look at the specification sheets in detail...possibly at the manufacturer's web site. Try to find one where the "maximum cooler height" specification is 160 mm or more.

Decent brands; Fractal Design; Phanteks; Lian Li; others if budget demands. Antec? Corsair? Cases have gotten a lot more expensive in the last few years.

A motherboard and CPU should fit in this case regardless of whether you ultimately go with AMD or Intel.

Probably plan on a micro ATX motherboard, 130 to 200 bucks. You need to decide AMD or Intel before you choose a motherboard.
Alright, Ive already settled on the micro ATX, and am considering a Ryzen since that seems to have the best consumer reviews.

As for AMD vs Intel, a friend of mine told me that AMD provides the best performance. Another friend informed me that even though they're good, they consume a lot of electricity, while through google I heard mixed comments about the power efficiency; I'm guessing the efficiency depends on the manufacturer.

I do not want to put a huge dent in my electricity bill, so I'd prefer one with a balance between power efficiency and performance, if not one that favors efficiency a bit more. I'm guessing that would be AMD. would that be correct or would Intel be the better choice?

Jun 28, 2022

Newegg has a much better search and sort capability than Amazon for choosing components.

Probably plan on a micro ATX motherboard, 130 to 180 bucks. You need to decide AMD or Intel before you choose a motherboard.
I took a look at this one and it seems decent:
https://www.newegg.com/white-fractal-design-focus-g-series-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352067

Would this be a good buy?
For cooling, It states:

"Six total fan positions allow for extensive air and liquid cooling setups with support for radiators up to 280mm in the front and 240mm up top."

That seems alright to me, just looking for a second opinion.

Alright, Ive already settled on the micro ATX, and am considering a Ryzen since that seems to have the best consumer reviews.

As for AMD vs Intel, a friend of mine told me that AMD provides the best performance. Another friend informed me that even though they're good, they consume a lot of electricity, while through google I heard mixed comments about the power efficiency; I'm guessing the efficiency depends on the manufacturer.

I do not want to put a huge dent in my electricity bill, so I'd prefer one with a balance between power efficiency and performance, if not one that favors efficiency a bit more. I'm guessing that would be AMD. would that be correct or would Intel be the better choice?

"A friend"........"another friend"..............

You have to understand that the PC world is infected with both outdated information, confirmation bias, and rank fanboy-ism. It's on this forum and anywhere else you are likely to look. All you can do is recognize it for what it is and adjust accordingly.

If you are so concerned about your electricity bill that the difference between AMD machine X and Intel machine Y would be a big deal to you, then you ought to find another interest........assuming you are a standard home user and not running a server farm or trying to crack the atom in your bedroom.

My non-gaming PC costs about the same as a 50 watt light bulb to operate. At 14 hours per day, that is .7 KWH. I pay about 18 cents per KWH. That's about 13 cents a day. 4 bucks a month.

If your gaming PC uses 500 watts constantly for 14 hours a day and you pay 18 cents per KWH, that would be 1.30 per day. That would be a very rare case and the difference between AMD and Intel in such a case isn't likely to be a deal-breaker.

Jun 28, 2022
"A friend"........"another friend"..............

You have to understand that the PC world is infected with both outdated information, confirmation bias, and rank fanboy-ism. It's on this forum and anywhere else you are likely to look. All you can do is recognize it for what it is and adjust accordingly.

If you are so concerned about your electricity bill that the difference between AMD machine X and Intel machine Y would be a big deal to you, then you ought to find another interest........assuming you are a standard home user and not running a server farm or trying to crack the atom in your bedroom.

My non-gaming PC costs about the same as a 50 watt light bulb to operate. At 14 hours per day, that is .7 KWH. I pay about 18 cents per KWH. That's about 13 cents a day. 4 bucks a month.

If your gaming PC uses 500 watts constantly for 14 hours a day and you pay 18 cents per KWH, that would be 1.30 per day. That would be a very rare case and the difference between AMD and Intel in such a case isn't likely to be a deal-breaker.

As I said before, I have no experience with PCs or building them. So of course I would go off of advice from my friends who have better experience with computers than I do.

I am a student who still lives with her parents and thus, doesn't want to be the cause of my parents having to pay a hefty electricity bill. I just wanted advice on whether to get AMD or Intel. But I'm highly considering AMD.

https://www.newegg.com/white-fractal-design-focus-g-series-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352067

Look at the above link regarding that case. Scroll down on the left side until you see "specs". Poke "specs". Scroll down into that and you will see "Max CPU Cooler Height 165 mm".

That number is good; you'd ideally want 160 or more so that the better air coolers will fit into the case.

That is the specification you need to know to get the right air cooler.

The 240 mm stuff you mention refers to liquid cooling systems, which you probably should avoid on a first build.

I have no knowledge of that specific case.

You can easily find several reviews of it online.

Jun 28, 2022

Look at the above link regarding that case. Scroll down on the left side until you see "specs". Poke "specs". Scroll down into that and you will see "Max CPU Cooler Height 165 mm".

That is the specification you need to know to get the right air cooler.

The 240 mm stuff you mention refers to liquid cooling systems, which you probably should avoid on a first build.

I have no knowledge of that specific case.

You can easily find several reviews of it online.
Great. I appreciate it.