[SOLVED] Very new to this!

Mar 30, 2020
ooook so I have two computers. One was gave to me thats got 8gb ram, Intel i5-3570, gtx 970 gpu. I also have a pre built alienware aurora r7 with a msi built 1070 blower card. The question u gave is the 970 gpu has two 8 pin wires plugged into it. My 1070 only has 1 8pin plug. If I were to transfer the 1070 over to the other computer would I have any install problems?

Side note, my alienware runs like trash!!!!
Any clues lol this 8 year old built pc runs games better with less ram, Lacks in the graphics area. But all in all runs better. The alienware is super (laggy). Thanks in advance .

Solution
Hello and welcome!

If your installing the 1070 into the machine that the 970 is installed into you will not have any problems. Those connections that plug into the graphics card supply additional power. Both cards actually use the same amount of power (5 watt difference). The 970 has additional power for overclocking. You will take about a 5-10fps reduction going from PCI-E 3.0 to PCI-E 2.0 using the 1070 in that older machine.

I would imagine that the CPU in the Alienware machine is probably much better so I would focus on trying to fix that machine imo. The best thing you can do for an old slow machine is reinstall windows.
Hello and welcome!

If your installing the 1070 into the machine that the 970 is installed into you will not have any problems. Those connections that plug into the graphics card supply additional power. Both cards actually use the same amount of power (5 watt difference). The 970 has additional power for overclocking. You will take about a 5-10fps reduction going from PCI-E 3.0 to PCI-E 2.0 using the 1070 in that older machine.

I would imagine that the CPU in the Alienware machine is probably much better so I would focus on trying to fix that machine imo. The best thing you can do for an old slow machine is reinstall windows.

Solution