[SOLVED] Very odd results from a pingtest

hammerdust

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019
So, I'm having this very odd issue that only effects the internet on my PC. I typed "ping -t 8.8.8.8" into command prompt to ping the google servers, and got the following results:
PrhrBe.png

Upon simultaneously running the same pingtest on my laptop, it was perfectly stable with no spikes.

I noticed how the timing of the ~2000ms spikes were oddly spaced out very specifically (exactly 8 seconds?). To me this seems very suspicious and I think someone in the same house as me is targeting me/my PC. However I'm not very knowledgeable with networking and such, so I was hoping someone with expertise could weigh in on this and what they think is going on. Thanks!

Solution
I have a WiFi adapter for my PC, so no ethernet/wired connection.
The issue will randomly resolve itself at some point regardless of how many/few programs are running on my PC, so I don't think it's CPU.
If it were signal strength, does it make sense that I get almost exactly 2000ms spike so consistently at exactly 8 seconds in between?
Network traffic doesn't make sense either as my laptop is unaffected by these spikes while connected to the same WiFi network.
Noise sources are much more interesting than most people realize. As an example, I was logging some repeating network issues over wired networking, and able to identify which node along the route the problem was at. You might be thinking that wired and wireless are...
Is this wired ethernet? If so, then I'd say you have a wiring defect. If WiFi, then I'd say you have some RF noise or signal strength issue. It isn't likely, but it is also possible your system with the high ping times just happens be under heavy enough loads to slow ethernet at some moments. Assuming this is wired, can you try the same ping over the same cable via the laptop?

I also forgot that perhaps part of "heavy load at those moments" could be network traffic or actual programs running and consuming the CPU for short moments.

hammerdust

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019
Is this wired ethernet? If so, then I'd say you have a wiring defect. If WiFi, then I'd say you have some RF noise or signal strength issue. It isn't likely, but it is also possible your system with the high ping times just happens be under heavy enough loads to slow ethernet at some moments. Assuming this is wired, can you try the same ping over the same cable via the laptop?

I also forgot that perhaps part of "heavy load at those moments" could be network traffic or actual programs running and consuming the CPU for short moments.

The issue will randomly resolve itself at some point regardless of how many/few programs are running on my PC, so I don't think it's CPU.
If it were signal strength, does it make sense that I get almost exactly 2000ms spike so consistently at exactly 8 seconds in between?
Network traffic doesn't make sense either as my laptop is unaffected by these spikes while connected to the same WiFi network.

hammerdust

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019
On your system open Powershell as Administrator and run the following cmdlet:

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -Name "*"

You should be able to copy the above line and paste it at the PS> prompt.

Post the results.
Here it is, not sure if it matters but the issue wasn't occurring at the time that I ran this command
EZieHi.png

Ralston18

Titan
Not noting anything astray there.

However the output seems incomplete.... I will need to check the cmdlet.

In the meantime, there are still some things you can do:

Try, as suggested by @SamirD, a wired connection to determine if the reply delay continues.

Ping your own router and determine if the delay exists or changes.

Also try pinging Google's other address: 8.8.4.4. using your wired and wireless.

Lastly use Resource Monitor to observe system performance while the ping tests are running. Watch for some "8 second" event or occurrence.

What make and model modem, router or (if combined - modem/router) do you have?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may be capturing some issue as well.

Noise sources are much more interesting than most people realize. As an example, I was logging some repeating network issues over wired networking, and able to identify which node along the route the problem was at. You might be thinking that wired and wireless are different, but at some fundamental level they are the same. Where I am located there is an Air Force base which performs AWACS training, and the route and timing is something the Air Force reports to large providers such as Comcast. The repeated timing was because this is the time the AWACS was flying over particular cable sections. The increased pings and loss only showed for sources in the sky because of cracks in the top of the cables not fully shielding those cables. This was very useful for Comcast because of how difficult it is to know about problems only on the top direction of the cables. There are vehicles which drive various routes around cables and look for RF leakage/noise, but they never trigger weaknesses which are only from above the cable.

Every 8 seconds is probably due to some equipment running in the area. It might or might not be other WiFi equipment. Just because it is noise to your WiFi does not mean it isn't something engineered by humans. Imagine a factory a mile away using some high power hardware, e.g., an induction furnace...something such as this could easily be a problem. "Synthetic" noise is very very high on the list of the problems.

If the noise is not via the power cable to the WiFi router, then it is possible that some particular band/channel supported by the router could be blacklisted and the problem would go away (depends on the nature of the source). You should test while sitting right next to the router. This would increase signal and thus increase signal-to-noise ratio. Should things improve under those circumstances, then I'd say you've proven it is RF noise as the issue.

Solution

hammerdust

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019
Alright thanks for the comments guys, the issue hasn't happened at all for the last few days (despite me not doing anything different) so I haven't been able to determine the cause, but if it happens again I'll have some things to try out and I'll follow up.