Very Peculiar Problem

Anti-Hero

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Hello there!

I am making this thread as I am encountering something I have never seen before. This is mostly related to gaming but I have no idea what component is acting up here.

So on Saturday, my internet was playing up, it kept disconnecting and any games I tried to join just lagged out immensely. I thought nothing of it, but then YouTube and Google were also playing up. I tried to resolve this, but when opening another browser, YouTube and Google were working fine (On Edge) and it was just Chrome playing up. Eventually now an Tuesday the browser side of the problem is fixed and I have no issues surfing the web.

However I am still encountering this annoying problem where half the games I have, seem to say I have crap connection. I originally was Wireless, so I though that might be the issue. I have since bought an ethernet cable and put it in. But the problem still persists through this.

I am completely boggled to this as some games work fine, but others will not work.

Here is a quick list compiled.

World of Warcraft (Working fine)
Overwatch (Times me out when loading into game.)
Battlefield 4 (Lags heavily ingame.)
Battleborn (Kicks me out of online games due to loss of connection.)
Elder Scrolls Online. (Error 11 whenever game starts up.)
Rust (Can connect to some servers, but most say timed out.)
GTA V (Working fine.)

As you can see, from the list it's weird how some games work, but others do not. I have tried reinstalls on most of the games that have been playing up, but to no avail.

Even after adding an ethernet cable, the problems still exist.

I spent an hour on the phone with my isp provider technician trying to sort the issue, but they said that their side is completely fine. I am getting between 90-110 mbps on the speed tests and only around 18 ping.

I can watch YouTube at 1080p, and Twitch on the Source level of quality. However when it comes to games I am getting weird errors for each of them which all point to the connection.

The ISP technician said it could possibly be the gpu playing up, but I'm not too sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea what I'm doing!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to run a virus/malware scan. Please use the link below for the complete guide and tools.
- http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1691891/removing-malware-proven-completely-remove-bitcoin-mining-malware.html
- Once done, do a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot, do also set Nvidia as the default GPU.
- Here's how: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F

Anti-Hero

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

Hello there and thanks for the response.

I have followed the steps above, revealing there was no malware with Malwarebytes, and a few issues with registry revealed by Roguekiller and Adw. I have wiped these and performed a clean wipe and install of the graphics driver.

However now after doing this my internet has gone right down. Showing I only have 0.40mbps whereas I was getting 100 before so I cannot play or do anything now. Bit of an odd situation I believe.