[SOLVED] Very poor performance on 3700x

BirdYo

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
A friend of mine recently completed his build with a 3700x and he's having some really weird issues. Basically in more intense games he's getting perfectly normal performance, but in others the cpu is just nosediving in its core frequency. (Like 1-2ghz bad) This obviously causes some big fps drops and stuttering and makes these games legitimately unplayable.

He's tried just about everything at this point, but here's the list of things off hand that he's tried to no avail:

-Updating Bios and chipset drivers
-Windows Updates
-Turning on PBO
-Setting Motherboard OC to Auto
-Running a couple of games at a time so the system should know it isn't idling
-Making sure any setting in Windows was set to prioritize performance over power saving
-Manually setting the clock speed in the bios (he went for 3.55 because he didn't feel like messing with this too much)

I can't imagine it's a hardware failure if it works so well in more demanding games. I thought it might be related to AMD's Cool N Quiet feature but he can't find any trace of it in his bios.

Specs: R7 3700x
16gb Ram 3000mhz CL15
Asus x570 Tuf Gaming Wifi
GTX 980
600 Watt EVGA BQ

Any additional suggestions are appreciated. We're at our wits' end here.

Jul 28, 2019
A friend of mine recently completed his build with a 3700x and he's having some really weird issues. Basically in more intense games he's getting perfectly normal performance, but in others the cpu is just nosediving in its core frequency. (Like 1-2ghz bad) This obviously causes some big fps drops and stuttering and makes these games legitimately unplayable.

He's tried just about everything at this point, but here's the list of things off hand that he's tried to no avail:

-Updating Bios and chipset drivers
-Windows Updates
-Turning on PBO
-Setting Motherboard OC to Auto
-Running a couple of games at a time so the system should know it isn't idling
-Making sure any setting in Windows was set to prioritize performance over power saving
-Manually setting the clock speed in the bios (he went for 3.55 because he didn't feel like messing with this too much)

I can't imagine it's a hardware failure if it works so well in more demanding games. I thought it might be related to AMD's Cool N Quiet feature but he can't find any trace of it in his bios.

Specs: R7 3700x
16gb Ram 3000mhz CL15
Asus x570 Tuf Gaming Wifi
GTX 980
600 Watt EVGA BQ

Any additional suggestions are appreciated. We're at our wits' end here.
High performance in power settings, disable game bar. What do you have for your windows ssd or hdd?

Aug 4, 2019
Hi there, friendo here mentioned in post.
Have you updated the chipset?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
it was said to have weird boosting which could solve the issue.
Yep, on the latest chipset driver
Not by that name, it's C-states.
Either way I have tried disabling global c-states (and I still have them disabled) but it doesn't help
High performance in power settings, disable game bar. What do you have for your windows ssd or hdd?
High performance check, game bar disabled and nothing. Windows is on an intel 660p NVME SSD

Aug 4, 2019
Update: Looks like I may have found a fix. The bluetooth on my xbox one controller seems to have been causing the stutters. Not sure if its the bluetooth itself or the controller's drivers since I disabled BT altogether. Either way, thoroughly tested afterwards, both OC settings and stock bios settings (aside from XMP) and it works perfectly with both. For now, this seems to be solved.