[SOLVED] Very rare black screen to HDMI TV - How to diagnose properly?

Feb 18, 2019
Hi,
One month ago I had a black screen for 1 second. Didn't happened again since then (at least not yet).
In case it happens again, how can I determine if the momentarily black screen "bug" was caused from PC, HDMI cable or TV?
With Hdmi splitter and second monitor or capture box? Or something else?

Windows 10
Samsung TV 24'' TD391
Asus gtx 970 strix
Resolution: 1080p
Connected on a ups.

TLTR:
Explanation of the bug/problem.
I use this PC for almost three years and for the first time I had a black screen for 1 second and then it was back to normal. The resolution info appeared on the monitor like when I turn it on (maybe handshake reset? but why? :) )
I did nothing heavy at that time I had firefox opened minimized and when I opened IrfanView that happened.
There is nothing I could find about that in event viewer. I did virus scans too! I didn't installed or updated anything.

I want to take a precaution just in case for the device that caused this.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
It sounds like the video card was lagging.

I couldn't tell you for sure though. I had a 27" monitor back in 2015 that was 5 years old and did the same thing once and then again a few months later, and then again monthly, and weekly, and daily, and then nothing. I had about 8-12 months of fiddling with it. I always thought it was my R9 270X, because I bought it from a cryptocurrency miner. It wasn't though, it was the monitor.

I know we GTX 10 series owners had 3 driver updates in the past month, so it may have been a driver if you update yours every time one comes out.
It sounds like the video card was lagging.

I couldn't tell you for sure though. I had a 27" monitor back in 2015 that was 5 years old and did the same thing once and then again a few months later, and then again monthly, and weekly, and daily, and then nothing. I had about 8-12 months of fiddling with it. I always thought it was my R9 270X, because I bought it from a cryptocurrency miner. It wasn't though, it was the monitor.

I know we GTX 10 series owners had 3 driver updates in the past month, so it may have been a driver if you update yours every time one comes out.

Solution
Feb 18, 2019
I didn't update the drivers for months because I didn't play any new or demanding games.
Nevertheless that was interesting and nice response.
It gives me food for thought maybe it was video card lag. I tried to replicate it but I can't no matter what I tried!
Lucky you with the GTX10* :)
I am saving to get a gtx 10 series too but I will not enjoy it if the monitor give up. So I want to decide if I have to buy a new monitor or video card.

Thank you.

Feb 18, 2019
@Dreznon hi again! So you think it was the monitor's side? Take a lucky guess based on your experience with displays and graphic cards, is ok for me!
Should I mark it as solved? Can you give me some tips what is the best way to monitor the HDMI signal to a secondary source to troubleshoot these kind of issues in the future?

Feb 18, 2019
From a lucky guess and based on your information I think is the TV. The black screen didn't happen again yet but I will watch it for a few days and probably I will get a new TV or monitor.
Thank you very much!

Oh durr, an uninterupted power supply.

I'm thinking more on a lag in the system for whatever reason (windows update in the background, driver, cable wobbled for whatever reason, etc.)

I told my monitor story because I saw a correlation between yours and mine. Mine was both a tv and monitor as well. It is also the same age as yours.

I wouldn't worry about it until you have to, although I do admire your looking ahead and preparing yourself for the future.

All the best.