Very slow (50mb/s) SSD Speed?

G

Hi,

I've had my Crucial M550 512GB SSD inside my Mid-2012 Macbook pro for a while now, but today I decided to do a speed test on it using Blackmagic Disk Speed Tester.

I'm sure that I'm just being a noob and not understanding things properly, but the speeds of this seem very low.
They are also very inconsistent, sometimes they rocket up to 450MB/s but then the next second they'll be down at 18MB/s. 50MB/s seems to be around the average.

Am I reading the speed test wrong? This seems to be much slower than it should be.

Here's a screenshot of my speed test. http://postimg.org/image/g2il15td1/

Thanks for the help,

Jamie

Hey macleod92. Usually it is normal for different types of files to get different readings just as @chesteracorgi said, but those write speeds are way too low. You're not reading the test wrong, something doesn't seem right here. I'd recommend that you try the SSD with a different SATA connection or a different computer and test it again to see if you get the same results.
You should also see if there's any firmware update available on the manufacturer's website.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

McHenryB

Admirable
Is the SSD a replacement for the hard disk or is it installed in the optical disk bay? The latter is known to produce poor results on many Macs; if this is your setup, try putting the SSD in the hard disk bay.

Edit: There is definitely something wrong. Using that program I get better results on the conventional hard disks in my Mac Mini (twice the speed for the write test!), and they are by no means what would be described as "fast".

sims09

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Were you able to solve the problem? I have the same problem. M550 installed in a mac mini 2012. Worked great when I installed - a few months ago. Now only 15MB/s write speed :(