Question very slow boot(restart) after migration

Sep 26, 2021
I have a Dell 5680 desktop and it had only an HDD. Just got a WD SN750 and decided to upgrade.
I used Acronis true image 2021 to do the cloning, after the migration, I unplugged the wires that connected to the HDD, boot from the SSD once, then rewire the HDD, restart and formatted it.
the PC runs super fast once loading in main screen, fast opening applications/games, and if I shut down then start, it is also very fast, like less than 5 seconds. However, if I restart the pc, it will get stuck in Dell logo screen and has a circle running for 2minutes before loading to the main screen. This is significantly slower even compared to the time when I had the HDD as the os drive
I understand that restart should be slower since it is a complete shutdown. but it doesnt make any sense to have such a slow boot time with the SSD even from complete shutdown.

i tried to reset and reinstalled the windows once, but nothing changed, still 2minutes boot time

Current bios setting:
UEFI, secure boot on
Sata operation: RAID on
Secure boot: enabled
Boot option priorities:
By defaut it shows inthe order of ipv4, ipv6, windows boot manager, but I moved windows boot manager the first, but boot time from restart did not decrease

can you guys help me please?

Sep 26, 2021
Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
BiQkvbV.png

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Not an expert on this but what is the reason you have enabled RAID? Are you using any RAID config? If not set the SATA mode to AHCI. do a clean install of Windows on SSD and check again. Disable Fast Boot in BIOS as well as Windows power options.

Not an expert on this but what is the reason you have enabled RAID? Are you using any RAID config? If not set the SATA mode to AHCI. do a clean install of Windows on SSD and check again. Disable Fast Boot in BIOS as well as Windows power options.
Agreed.... just to keep it simple ahci might be a better choice.
A simple method to switch that does not require a reinstall of windows.

https://www.mysysadmintips.com/wind...om-raid-to-ahci-without-re-installing-windows

Sep 26, 2021
Agreed.... just to keep it simple ahci might be a better choice.
A simple method to switch that does not require a reinstall of windows.

https://www.mysysadmintips.com/wind...om-raid-to-ahci-without-re-installing-windows

It is RAID by default I never changed. I just tried to change it to ACHI, it will fail to start then enter a dell OS assistant screen, self check the hardware and it found no hardware issue, then tried to restart but fall into a infinite restart loop but never enter windows main screen...

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
After you change SATA mode you may need to do a clean install of Windows. Above post mentions how to avoid that I suppose. But in your case to rule out possibilities clean install is recommended.

Sep 26, 2021
After you change SATA mode you may need to do a clean install of Windows. Above post mentions how to avoid that I suppose. But in your case to rule out possibilities clean install is recommended.
By clean install do you mean that I need to install from an external drive rather than reset and reinstall with the recovery function?

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
By clean install do you mean that I need to install from an external drive rather than reset and reinstall with the recovery function?

Yes, after you change the SATA mode, Windows may not boot correctly or might fail to boot. However there's a workaround as explained by @Bob.B. However what I suggest to test and to check if this was the issue (just in case) boot Windows 10 installer from external USB pen drive, delete existing Windows 10 partitions and proceed with clean install not just recovery or reset.

Also try Clean boot approach to rule out if there's any third party service or process affecting the boot process.