[SOLVED] Very slow booting after Windows update ?

crepper4454

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
Hi. Yesterday my PC downloaded an update, I must have accidentaly pressed "update and reboot" instad of "update and shutdown", but I had no time so I shut it down when it started rebooting. Today when I powered up the PC it took 4-5 minutes to boot, and now it takes 1-2 min. I had this problem before and found no fix, but it disappeared after I upgraded my CPU and motherboard recently (i5 8400 to Ryzen 7 5800X). So now I am sure that it is a software issue and it can be fixed without reinstalling Windows (I have too much stuff on my SSD boot drive to wipe it nor a place to back up this much), but I have no idea how to fix it. Driver issue maybe? Help please.

Solution
Just reinstall Windows, chasing this type of issue is likely to take longer than a reinstall. I know you mention having lots of stuff on the drive but it cannot be that important if you don’t have it backed up, any drive can fail without warning. Maybe now is a good time to setup a Windows partition or a add a new drive just for Windows making future reinstalls easier. It is inevitable that Windows will need reinstalling from time to time even if just to get back lost performance.

crepper4454

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
It was not just the first boot, every boot is like that now. Boot time went up from < 1min to 3-4. I rebooted it a few times to make sure it wasn't a temporary issue. I also tried to restore to a restore point from yesterday, it did not help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
see if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

that will fix it if its a windows problem (maybe)

it appears the ethernet drivers are having issues loading, perhaps update your LAN or WIFI drivers.

Ralston18

Titan
I will add the suggestion to take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Both tools capture and record system related error codes, warnings, and informational events.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and uses a time line format that can be revealing.

Right clicking any given entry will open a pop-up presenting more information. The pop-up details may or may not be helpful....

Also look in Update History - look for any installation/update problems that may have been recorded.

crepper4454

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
There is nothing to be found there unfortunately, no mention of driver errors in both apps. And I am certain that no update caused the issue because it was broken - I reverted to a system restore point from a day earlier (when everything worked) and it changed nothing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can we have a full list of parts?

is ssd only drive in pc?

what version of win 10 is it?
  1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 20H2
if you on 20H2, could try a repair install (only replaces windows, leaves all other files as is)

Just reinstall Windows, chasing this type of issue is likely to take longer than a reinstall. I know you mention having lots of stuff on the drive but it cannot be that important if you don’t have it backed up, any drive can fail without warning. Maybe now is a good time to setup a Windows partition or a add a new drive just for Windows making future reinstalls easier. It is inevitable that Windows will need reinstalling from time to time even if just to get back lost performance.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Solution

TRENDING THREADS