Question very slow booting on ssd

drummerdimitri

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
I have a Samsung 256 GB 950 pro SSD and load times for windows is over 3 minutes!

My pc wasnt always like that it just seems to be getting worse with time.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that the drive only has 20 GB left of space or is it the age of the SSD?

Want those 10 second boot times back what to do?

drummerdimitri

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
I figured out the problem. Turns out since I always turn my computer off using the physical power button it, for some reason takes ages to boot back up. Now that I do a regular software shutdown, the issue has gone away. Why is this the case though? I'd rather keep turning my pc on and off using the hardware button.

The reason is a feature called Fast Start-up. Normally when you shut down the system files are written to the HDD and the RAM is cleared of data, then when computer boots up again, Windows reloads the system files from the HDD back into RAM. With Fast Start-up, when your computer is allowed to shutdown properly, windows loads the system files into memory and goes into a pseudo hibernation state, then when you boot up the next time, the system files are already loaded in memory, so the booting is much faster. BTW, when you do not let Windows properly shutdown, it interferes with Windows writing the system files that are in RAM to the HDD, which can corrupt the systems files. Bad SkyNetRising!, Bad! :)

drummerdimitri

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
You guys misunderstand,

I am not force shutting down by holding the power button down for a while instead i have configured the power button to do a normal shutdown just like the software shutdown in windows so why does it act this way?

I figured out the problem. Turns out since I always turn my computer off using the physical power button it, for some reason takes ages to boot back up. Now that I do a regular software shutdown, the issue has gone away. Why is this the case though? I'd rather keep turning my pc on and off using the hardware button.
ALL PC's since the dawn of time, have had to have a shutdown procedure, why would you think yours is different?
Glad you are not in the era of parking heads on a computer (if you don't know what that is, google it).
It's the emergency off button, even if you don't shut it down by holding your finger on it.

You guys misunderstand,

I am not force shutting down by holding the power button down for a while instead i have configured the power button to do a normal shutdown just like the software shutdown in windows so why does it act this way?
When you configure the power button to shut down, it does not mean it will do a normal shutdown. It means the power button has been congigured to do an emergency shutdown when your computer has locked up or for some other reason will not normally shut down using your mouse and the shut down commands. As mentioned above, power button shutdown is always an emergency shutdown, which is obvious by the fact when the shutdown occurs (after pushing and holdong down the power button) there is no pause after the monitor turns off like a normal shutdown, while the files in memory are written to the systems disc, the power for both the monitor and computer just blinks off.

Reactions: drummerdimitri
Here Let Me Help You
first Defrag ur ssd aka Trimm.
clean temp files (Or You Could Get CCleaner :)
now windows key + R
there type Msconfig wen it opens go to boot tab
right side there will be timeout =seconds erase it and set input 3 seconds
now go to service tab lower left check hide all microsoft serivces then click disable all
if you know about msconfig then u can disable few of microsoft services too
go to task manager go to startup tab and disable all statrup apps if u want u can let 1 app be enabled on startup
Good Day
If u have further questions hit me on dm i can teach u how to get rid/clean unesscery files of windows
ther are a few scripts wich remove search windows defender and more.
The OP has said he figured out the issue he was asking about and all is good. At this point I think "if it works don't fix it" should apply. :)

TRENDING THREADS