Very Slow computer

John Verdernshmits

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Alright, my system is extremely slow, it takes like a minuet to load a webpage and loading up programs such as Skyrim which takes like 5 minuets to load, but when I'm in game It's not laggy at all. It is also slow when I tab out on Sims 4 and I have occasional lag spikes. My CPU has eight cores so it shouldn't have an issue with multi-tasking. My old computer which had a Pentium 4 and a HD5450 was faster at loading stuff

My Specs are:
CPU: FX-8350 Eight-core Processor @4GHz
GPU: MSI R7 250 1GB GDDR5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB @1600MHz
MB: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
HDD: (Main) Western Digital 160GB 5400RPM and (Secondary) Hitachi 160GB 5400RPM

Solution
Dude, what do you expect when you use a 5400rpm 160gb drive from 4-5 years ago. That thing is probably slower then some USB flash drives.... Buy a new HDD or invest in a SSD and your build will be lighting fast.

By what you described (slow loading, but no lagging once loaded) its pretty clear its 100% a HDD issue. Its also likely that HDD is on its way out.

oczdude8

Distinguished
Dude, what do you expect when you use a 5400rpm 160gb drive from 4-5 years ago. That thing is probably slower then some USB flash drives.... Buy a new HDD or invest in a SSD and your build will be lighting fast.

By what you described (slow loading, but no lagging once loaded) its pretty clear its 100% a HDD issue. Its also likely that HDD is on its way out.

Solution

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
you have 2 very slow HDDs, and my guess is that are very old aswell. Secondary, you have only 4GB ram. With lower memory, the system will have more paging file (virtual memory (RAM)) on your HDD. Your Harddrives are the problem (99%)

harrilynch

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014
You don't even need an SSD. Although it would be really fast, you don't need one if you are on a budget. Just simply backup your two drives and put them on a 7200rpm 1tb drive. You will have plenty of space. Rather than two slow almost-full drives.