Question Very slow connection on my new Custom built PC running windows 10

Feb 16, 2019
Hello so i have read lots of other threads but none of then have helped me what so ever..

so i just finished building my pc (see specs at end of the post) and i am using a wifi dongle called the D-Link DWA-171 AC600 MU-MIMO WiFi Adapter (In device manager I don't know the real name) and I am getting speeds of like 6.5 mg/s up and down if I'm lucky and my phone (iphone 7)
and my laptop (macbook pro) are getting speeds of like 50-100 mb/s. I have telus boost network and I there the router one floor above me but right above me so only like 20 feet away with only a floor between the router and my PC. My phone and laptop get great performance right next to my PC but my PC is crap. I have the most up to date driver and this is a fresh install of windows but a little bit of an older network dongle (only a few months old it was used in my old pc) so its not malware. Please help!

PC Specs:
CPU: i7-8200k
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
RAM: VENGEANCE 16GB pack.

Are you running windows 10? Do you recall if you let Win10 detect the device or did you install the Dlink drivers? Try removing from device manager and try either / or both and see if it makes a difference between the win10 installed driver and the dlink driver.

Since you have a laptop available, would you be able to disable the laptop internal WIFI adapter and try this adapter on it? As a bonus you can try in different locations in the room (and other rooms) and compare signal strengths

If it is working on the laptop, it may be you just need a USB extension cable to get the adapter away from your PC box itself that may be causing the signal to be blocked...

Possible, there is a problem with the adapter itself or a conflict with the device connecting to the Telus Boost APs. Unfortunately I have no experience with Telus so possible someone else may weigh in on it, it seems to be very capable with dual-band AC and 4x4 antennas.

If you have the ability to tether your phone, try enabling the hotspot on it and see if you can connect to it. Alternatively try connecting to other WIFI routers or hotspots, would be a good test to see if the device is actually working or not. However, it may be best to just return it and get a better adapter - I have seen quite a few problems with the AC600 type of adapters and personally experienced getting a stable connection from them until I got a UniFi access point (where all devices can now connect flawlessly)...

One thing you can try, since you mentioned a Mac OSX laptop that is working - is to use that as your Wifi adapter by share it's wireless connection to your PC (if you don't mind leaving it on while your PC is running)...

Check out "Enable Internet Sharing in Mac OS X to Turn Your Mac Into a Wireless Router @ osxdaily" which shows the opposite, sharing the ethernet to the WIFI to create a hotspot - so just do the opposite, and share the wifi with the ethernet connection and all you need to do is connect your PC to your laptop via an ethernet cable, you may already have one or have to get one for just a few dollars.

As far as a good wifi adapter, I have had good luck with the TP-Link T4U and if you need an extension cable (I use this one in both of my son's rooms since they have a similar problem), the Startech USB3SEXT5DSK 5' Usb 3.0 Extension Cable-A to A M/F

Cheers!

those tiny devices are design where size and battery life is more important than performance. First thing to try is to move the device away from all that metal in your computer. The antenna are tiny and easily blocked by the computer. A cheap usb extension cable will allow you to move the device to someplace else in the room that gets better signals