Very slow download speeds, very fast upload speeds [Verizon FiOS Gigabit] [Wired]

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
I am experiencing very slow download speeds (50-65Mbps), but my upload speeds are good (850-950Mbps).

I have Verizon FiOS Gigabit, with an Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1 router (provided by Verizon).

I am wired directly to the router with a CAT6 cable. I also tried replacing the cable with a brand new one to rule out a bad cable, but same issue.

There are two other devices connected to the router, both wired as well (a laptop and a desktop). However, they are both getting the full speeds (850-950 both ways). There are no wireless devices connected.

I am using the internal LAN port on my motherboard, which is an ASUS Maximus VIII Formula. I tried updating to the latest LAN driver, via ASUS's site (Version 22.4.16.0).

I am using Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299.

I am not using a VPN, and I ran tests with nothing open other than an Incognito window with just the speedtest tab.

I have also tried resetting my network adapter using the CMD line "netsh winsock reset."

Both my IPv4 and IPv6 settings are all on auto.

Below is a screenshot of my speedtest results using Verizon speed test. I have ran through all of their troubleshooting steps, including resetting the router. The only error message is get is a very helpful "Check connection." I have also tested using SpeedTest..net, but I get similar results, usually a little slower, depending on the server I connect to.

D3HgoB1.png

Let me know if I left anything out, or if you have any questions. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I have figured it out. And I'm very annoyed at how simple it was.

NetLimiter 4. I have it in case I need to download something while a roommate is playing a game (usually League of Legends) as anything over 7MB/s would usually affect their ping. I did make sure it wasn't running though. I right clicked the icon in the tray and clicked "Exit", which would lead me to believe it wasn't running. But apparently the setting saves and changes something, even if it isn't running. I thought to myself, the download speed I was getting (50-60Mbps) is equivalent to the 7MB/s limit I would set on NetLimiter. I opened the program and unchecked the limit of 7MB/s, and there ya have it. The speed works! All that headache for something so simple

Mod...

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

I've never used Linux before, I'm not familiar with it at all. It is pretty simple to do? I'd imagine there is a guide for it somewhere.

You can find a video to install Ubuntu to a USB stick and I believe it has the option to test it before installing it. Do not accidentally install it over your HDD. Once you have the live version going you just open firefox and run speedtest or what ever. You may need to go into your BIOS to make it boot from the usb drive.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#0

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Thanks for the link. I'll give this a try after I get home from work and post the results.

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

I just ran a speedtest while connected via internet on Ubuntu. It was good. This narrows it down to something with either Windows or an application. Any idea what it could be?

2PlrApk.png

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
**UPDATE 2**

I just ran a speed test in Safe Mode with Networking. GOOD!!. So there is SOMETHING in Windows settings somewhere that is causing this. I can't figure it out, I feel like I've tried everything. I have no applications running when I do this normally either, so I can't imagine it's an application running, unless it's a hidden one.

WHEFevq.jpg

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
I have figured it out. And I'm very annoyed at how simple it was.

NetLimiter 4. I have it in case I need to download something while a roommate is playing a game (usually League of Legends) as anything over 7MB/s would usually affect their ping. I did make sure it wasn't running though. I right clicked the icon in the tray and clicked "Exit", which would lead me to believe it wasn't running. But apparently the setting saves and changes something, even if it isn't running. I thought to myself, the download speed I was getting (50-60Mbps) is equivalent to the 7MB/s limit I would set on NetLimiter. I opened the program and unchecked the limit of 7MB/s, and there ya have it. The speed works! All that headache for something so simple

Mod, please choose change this to solved and choose this as the answer.

tJ6WD21.png

Solution