Question Very Slow File Transfer bw HDD over SATA - also CPU usage spiking/system slowdown?

Oct 5, 2021
Doing some data backup/reorg. I reconnected my 2tb barracuda 7200rpm drive and have been moving data onto it as a backup. The files large and small, a bunch zipped with low compression. Been moving these types of files in large numbers to a USB 3.0 HDD without issue yesterday.

However using this barracuda drive, I deleted a bunch of files on the Barracuda and then started the transfer, and speeds would average 100 MB/s for a few minutes... then slow down to 0-1MB/s.

Also, CPU usage (3700x, low temps) is spiking to 60%+, and there are slowdowns doing everything, from opening task manager to using firefox when the files are transferring.

I had to pause the transfer to open this post.

What could be causing this? I ran a SMART test via seatools and it passed (was a quick test).

I can't remember having seen this before despite regularly moving large and small files across 10+ storage devices.

Doing some data backup/reorg. I reconnected my 2tb barracuda 7200rpm drive and have been moving data onto it as a backup. The files large and small, a bunch zipped with low compression. Been moving these types of files in large numbers to a USB 3.0 HDD without issue yesterday.

However using this barracuda drive, I deleted a bunch of files on the Barracuda and then started the transfer, and speeds would average 100 MB/s for a few minutes... then slow down to 0-1MB/s.

Also, CPU usage (3700x, low temps) is spiking to 60%+, and there are slowdowns doing everything, from opening task manager to using firefox when the files are transferring.

I had to pause the transfer to open this post.
I reconnected my 2tb barracuda
What could be causing this? I ran a SMART test via seatools and it passed (was a quick test).

I can't remember having seen this before despite regularly moving large and small files across 10+ storage devices.
Just to clear up the picture a little.
I reconnected my 2tb barracuda.....how? where?

files in large numbers to a USB 3.0 HDD....what usb hdd?

Oct 5, 2021
Just to clear up the picture a little.
I reconnected my 2tb barracuda.....how? where?

files in large numbers to a USB 3.0 HDD....what usb hdd?

I connected it to the motherboard via SATA 3. File transfer to it has been glacial. It was previously in an anti-static bag after I removed it from my system (at which point it was working fine) a few months ago.

The USB 3.0 HDD were easystores.

I only mentioned the USB drives because they showed me that it's not a defect with my OS/MB/file etc...

I connected it to the motherboard via SATA 3. File transfer to it has been glacial. It was previously in an anti-static bag after I removed it from my system (at which point it was working fine) a few months ago.

The USB 3.0 HDD were easystores.

I only mentioned the USB drives because they showed me that it's not a defect with my OS/MB/file etc...
Run a pass of crystal disk info on the barracuda and post a screen shot.

If you send the same file out to some other disk on usb it's speedy.
Is that correct?