Very slow hard disk speed

MuditMaheshwari

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
I recently bought a segate backup plus 1 tb harddisk from amazon. I am using i3 3rd gen processor . The data transfer speed is max 24mbps when connecting it to USB 3.0 port. I tried in i5 pc also but still the same result.....what should I do??Please help urgent

Solution
Yea try running Crystal Disk Info to see if it is bad. If it says anything but good copy and paste everything here.

Honestly though USB 2.0 has a max speed of about 60MBps but if you include over head is runs right around 40MBps

I would try another USB 3.0 port either on your PC or on another just to verify that the USB 3.0 is working properly on the HDD and then if you have like a portable USB 3.0 thumb drive test that out on the laptop. Just sounds like to me it is running at 2.0 speeds possibly as well
what kind of data are you transfering? are they a lot of small files or one big file? If it is a lot of small files that sounds to be about right for the speed. If you really want to test it try coping over like a 1GB or bigger file to see how fast it is.

MuditMaheshwari

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

I tried copying 36gb folder but the maximum speed i am getting is 38 mbps that too using USB 3.0

Hi there MuditMaheshwari,

I believe drtweak suggested to try transferring a single big file, not a folder, which may contain multiple files.
Apart from that, you can check the drive's health status out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
If there is something wrong with it, you need to back up the data stored on it ASAP.

Trying something simple as just attaching the drive with another USB cable will not hurt as well.

Let us know how this goes,
D_Know_WD

try to copy a single file that is 1GB or larger. You can also download Crystal Disk mark and to a 1GB file test on the external drive and see how fast it is.

Also try to download Crystal Disk Info and make sure the drive isn't going bad either.

MuditMaheshwari

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
I tried copying the windows 8.1 iso file i.e 3 gb single file but still it is copying at a rate of 38mbps. I used Hdtune tool and in the benchmark tab and read mode the average transfer rate was 38mbps and maximum was 39.9 mbps.......should i go for replacement?

Yea try running Crystal Disk Info to see if it is bad. If it says anything but good copy and paste everything here.

Honestly though USB 2.0 has a max speed of about 60MBps but if you include over head is runs right around 40MBps

I would try another USB 3.0 port either on your PC or on another just to verify that the USB 3.0 is working properly on the HDD and then if you have like a portable USB 3.0 thumb drive test that out on the laptop. Just sounds like to me it is running at 2.0 speeds possibly as well

Solution