xabaddon

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
I recently bought a new HDD here on amazon. I already have an SSD for my operating system and light storage, along with an older 1TB HDD. Both work completely fine so I know its not some other issue with my system.

After installing it with no issues, I started transferring files at a normal rate. After about 200gb, the hard drive write speed slowed down to something like 17 kb/s. I tried swapping the cable, running different suggestions I found on the internet, etc. Finally I just reformatted it in hopes that maybe something had gone wrong during formatting. Again, everything seemed normal at first, then slowed back down to the same speed.

I've been testing it with ATTO Disk Benchmark with the same results, it is much slower than my other, fuller, HDD and obviously the SSD.

Is my hard drive most likely toast? I can still return it, but a lot of my files are moved on here and it would take ages to move them back before I do return it, so I'm just looking for any advice on this because I am quite desperate. Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
256MB Cache drives are typically SMR drives and have write 'issues' due to how data is stored. These aren't really good as your OS drive; they're are geared more for Archival write once type usage.

I would return it and get a PMR drive. Normal 64mb cache...

popatim

Titan
256MB Cache drives are typically SMR drives and have write 'issues' due to how data is stored. These aren't really good as your OS drive; they're are geared more for Archival write once type usage.

I would return it and get a PMR drive. Normal 64mb cache...

Solution