Very slow internet on one PC but very fast on other computers on the same network.

crawfish29

Reputable
May 15, 2018
Recently had to move my desktop to a different room with no available wired connection, so I switched to using the wifi instead. At first, I used a usb wifi adapter, but found it to be very inconsistent and much slower than my wifi should have been. To replace it, I bought an Asus PCE-N15 wireless card, but I'm still having similar issues. Occasionally, my desktop will get up to 20 megabits on a speedtest, but it often falls down to less than 1 megabit per second. For comparison, my laptop on the same network, in the same room gets upwards of 120 megabits per second on the same speedtest. I've considered the possibility that it might be a virus, but multiple scans with AVG and Malwarebytes revealed nothing and their active protection doesn't seem to help at all. If anyone could shed some light on what might be going on here that would be amazing. The wifi works fine for all other machines in our house.

My specs:
Biostar TZ77B x64
Intel i3-2100
Asus PCE-N15 wireless card
Windows 7

Solution
Instead of using that Asus WiFi card, try a pair of powerline adapters so there's no need to use WiFi. You really shouldn't be using WiFi on a desktop PC anyhow.

I switched from WiFi to powerline adapters for my smart TV and it's been a revelation to me, really thought powerline adapters were just a gimmick but I was so wrong. I suppose there are good and bad ones but mine are TP Link and they're great.
Instead of using that Asus WiFi card, try a pair of powerline adapters so there's no need to use WiFi. You really shouldn't be using WiFi on a desktop PC anyhow.

I switched from WiFi to powerline adapters for my smart TV and it's been a revelation to me, really thought powerline adapters were just a gimmick but I was so wrong. I suppose there are good and bad ones but mine are TP Link and they're great.

Solution